Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekly Man Cook: Eye of Round Steak

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
The wife is gone out of town to a funeral, so its my weekly man cook.  Didn't cheap on her last night, had rib eyes.  I also bought a two pack of round steaks. They were 5 bucks and was dying to see how they did.  Extremely lean cut of beef, googling recipes I was almost thinking I wasted 5$. Even found an old thread on here that said they were tough and should just grind or stew it! @skiddymarker thanks for the tip on the jaccard, dont have one but can see where that would be a nice tool.

So I marinated these for around 18 hours, just how the time fell in a Jack Daniel's bag marinade, then I hit them with a little heat rub while they came to room temp and I lit the SBGE, (which is awesome!!!)
Did around 500 for about 4-5 min cook.  I pulled at 110, was shooting for 120 but it was freezing outside.  Really glad I pulled early cause the "doneness was spot on.

These were extremely tasty!!! I will buy these a lot! Now I can obviously tell it is not a high dollar piece of beef, but I would not knock it. Hope you enjoy. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks like you spent that 5 bucks well!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    MCN, that looks awesome. Was it chewy at all?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @aviator
    I'd be lying if I said no, but its really hard for me to say yes. It had a bite or two that were. 
    Easy way to put it, it was better all around than a lot of steaks Ive paid 20$ for at restaurants. 

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks good! 

I just made chicken using the Teriyaki Jack Daniels marinade for the first time and loved it. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a steak at a restaurant other than a high end place. Even cheap steaks are better than most restaurants. I will grab a couple of these and give it a shot sometime. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Been scared of trying them, nice to know they are doable they always have them at Publix
    Look good!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @solson005
    Post it when you cook them if you don't mind. I was very pleased, eager to see what someone else thinks. I'd cook these for company. We have two places ill order steak now. One is high dollar, one is a mom and pap. Other than that I'm eating steak off my grill

@smokindawg82
    I think you will be presently surprised.

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Glad you can still go out for steak.  Even the places I used to love for steak I have only been to once since getting the Egg because I can do 5 times better then they can for 1/8th cost.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice job, eye of round needs some marinade and you did it very nicely. 
    Needs an acid marinade, which I think tenderizes the meat a touch. Hope you enjoyed them. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Sure thing, I get Eye of round in my Pho all the time but I think that is my only experience with it. i'll get the small out and let you know sometime in the next week. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Canadian, or at least eastern Canadian eye of round is good for shoe repair and not much more. I did one sous vide for 24 hours a few weeks ago and it was edible. Looking forward to going 48 hours on one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options

Canadian, or at least eastern Canadian eye of round is good for shoe repair and not much more. I did one sous vide for 24 hours a few weeks ago and it was edible. Looking forward to going 48 hours on one.

Don't know if you ever go to Superstore, they have a marinade called Memories of Kobe, it is a tamari garlic sauce. Hit eye of round with the Jaccard and then marinate for day or two. Cook medium rare and slice across the grain (like a London) and serve it on rolls or plate it with/on rice - we call it stinky steak, it is garlicly delicious. No idea what it would be like in sous vide. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Skiddy,

Yes I have that. I think you guys get more Alberta beef than we do though. I haven't tried sous vide with a sauce type marinade but I have found a little seasoning goes a long way. I put a couple of cloves of garlic in with some pork chops on one of my first tries and they were almost inedible.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I have a 2.5# Eye Round Roast sitting overnight with some EVOO Worcester sauce DP Raing the steaks salt and pepper. My plan is to low and slow today, then hit it with the new slicer and make some Beef on Weck sandwiches, hopefully close to how like Buffalo's Charlie the Butcher does them.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Skiddymarker
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse - thanks for this thread. Eye of Round, either roast or steak, has a less natural taste than many beef cuts, it is a "blank canvas" for your marinade artwork. (Sorry, I've been reading Modernist Cuisine again) It will take on great flavour and if you can somehow soften the texture, it makes a good meal. Usually braised for things like Swiss Steak, if treated like MrCookingNurse did the results on the grill can be very good. Tenderized steaks, sliced thin are great for stir fries, which often have distinctive sauces giving the meat flavour.  
    The other benefit is buying a roast and then slicing your own steaks or cutlets. Beef schnitzels are really very good, different than the normal chicken, pork, veal. As a roast (tenderized) and sliced it is good for deli meat. 
    By no means a gourmet cut, but it can be an inexpensive treat every now and then. (Soapbox now available for next speaker)

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I did an eye round roast around a year ago.  Very tough meat...but if you slice it as thin as you're able to, not bad eating.  If you have a slicer and can shave it, it'd be great as roast beef sandwich material.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Lunch today was leftover round steak and rice.

It was still very good after being microwaved. Tasted amazing, was a good but chewier reheated. Everyone at work was =P~ tho because of the smell and the look of a perfectly cooked steak.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great!  Nice job making a cheap cut o' beef look fancy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @mrcookingnurse, very nice but you call that man cook? where's the man grate ;-)

I jaccard eye of round crazy for jerky, even when sliced with the grain it's tender; almost 100% fat free and not have to worry too much about it turning rancid.  Hey, like most folks say it's like leather so why not make leather? 

:)) :))
    canuckland