Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese injected meat

Options
Has anyone ever tried this? One of the Brazilian restaurants in town does some kind of flank steak or round and somehow gets provolone injected in there. If you've been to a Brazilian place you can imagine them walking around with a bug hunk of meat on a stick and slicing off pieces with cheese oozing out. I'd like to try to replicate this somehow. Any ideas?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sounds great. No clue how, but I will grab a beer and wait for responses B-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Many Spanish countries prize their "fried cheese".  Dominican Republic is one.  Had a baseball player i coached, and his parents were representing their govenment here is the states.  They introduced me to this "fried cheese".  It is white and hard, but doesn't melt like our cheeses.  It turns a very nice brown color when fried, and is very good.  My wife makes a very good meatloaf with a chedder cheese stuffing, thats about as close as i have come to injecting cheese into meat.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey wilt- Great question. I've done it many times and it's really good. I start with a large bone in rib roast, like maybe 3 bones. Then take a block of provolone and cut it into 1/2" squares about 3-4" in length. Freeze them until hard. Then take a larding iron (I use my knife steel but you can use a straight knife, or other piece of metal that can push through the roast and leave a small hole. . Push a few holes through the roast with your larding iron (maybe 4-5 places). Take the cheese out of the freezer, put a little lube...er..olive oil on it and push it in with your fingers. I also do asparagus and jalapeño the same way which makes for a great Brazilian rib roast. Then just cook it at like 250-300 indirect until med rare and there you have a great Brazilian Rib Roast. Enjoy- they are great and tons of fun to do for guests.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    wow, great post Cen-Tex, thanks! I will report back when I get a chance to take this on
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Charlie - any idea whats the name of that type of cheese you are referring to?

Chubbs - Drink an extra one for me ;)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @cen-tex

welcome to the forum, youll love it here and find lots of great tips! 

:)] hey everybody Its centex!!! you back??

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

@cen-tex

welcome to the forum, youll love it here and find lots of great tips! 

:)] hey everybody Its centex!!! you back??
    I'm not really back but I saw this post and thought I could help out. Hope you guys are all good.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Centex. Please come back
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The only place i know that carries this is Sam's Club --  it is very white in color and has a Mexican looking guy riding a donkey on the front -- it is packaged and sized to the below photo -- use this photo for color and size only because this is another type of cheese.  And it is fairly cheap, about six bucks for the block.  You can slice it into bite size pieces and fry it in a frying pan -- it doesn't melt and it gets real crispy.  They served it with wine -- me and my brother were blitzed in no time!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Hey wilt- Great question. I've done it many times and it's really good. I start with a large bone in rib roast, like maybe 3 bones. Then take a block of provolone and cut it into 1/2" squares about 3-4" in length. Freeze them until hard. Then take a larding iron (I use my knife steel but you can use a straight knife, or other piece of metal that can push through the roast and leave a small hole. . Push a few holes through the roast with your larding iron (maybe 4-5 places). Take the cheese out of the freezer, put a little lube...er..olive oil on it and push it in with your fingers. I also do asparagus and jalapeño the same way which makes for a great Brazilian rib roast. Then just cook it at like 250-300 indirect until med rare and there you have a great Brazilian Rib Roast.

Enjoy- they are great and tons of fun to do for guests.

I about $@&@ my diaper when i saw you were back. Stay on dude...miss you, your cooks and wit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Forgot about the garlic cloves. Make sure to stuff some of those in as well. You don't need to freeze them. Just a little olive oil.

Thanks @chubbs. I never really totally left but I'm just not contributing the way I used to. I only check in a few times a weeks and that's getting less and less. Hope you guys are all good. I'll be around every once in a while.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    kinda creepy Centex, here but not here, watching but not watching.... Are you sitting in a white van right now?? 

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Back to my hole now. :).
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Outside of a school. That was my next question. Miss ya man... Getting kinda weird now. Enjoy your hole

Oh wow. That got weird quick

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Back to my hole now. :).
    When can you make parole bud?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Nurse- Akward....... @littlesteven: Warden says if I keep up with my "exemplary service" I should be out in 14 years. I duuno what he means by "exemplary". I treat all the fellas the same :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Oh I just bet you do. Where the hell is Nola. It's no fun here no mo

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh I just bet you do. Where the hell is Nola. It's no fun here no mo

no clue buddy. hope to see you in salado.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I mayhave to cancel Salado due to some business issues. Hoping it will work out though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    The fried cheese may be made from queso blanco.  It will get soft, but doesn't melt completely.  Cannot say for sure about the frying, but a local Mexican restaurant sprinkles it on some of their dishes and it only gets soft never runny.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa