Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First over nighter tonight!!!!

Well this will be be my first over night cook and really not sure on the time. If i cook it at 250 how long should it take to cook. Please give me some advise. Thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    What are you cooking and how big is it?
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Whatcha cooking? If its a butt, you can plan on 1.5-2 hours per pound. Good luck.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    edited February 2013

oh sorry forgot to post that. Its a butt about 9 pounds

Tjcoley said:
    What are you cooking and how big is it?

shtgunal3 said:
    Whatcha cooking? If its a butt, you can plan on 1.5-2 hours per pound. Good luck.

• Tjcoley
    At 250 dome, you're probably looking closer to 2 hours a pound.  You can always bump temp up in the morning if it's taking too long.  If you finish early, wrap in foil, wrap in towels and stick it in a cooler.  It will stay hot for hours.  And don't worry if your Egg wants to settle in a 275 instead of 250.  Most have a sweet spot.  25 degrees doesn't make a difference, and if you start chasing temps you are in for a sleepless night.  Make sure you catch the temp on the way up.  As you get close, start shutting down the vents.  Very hard to cool down the Egg if you overshoot.   Get it stablized and don't worry about the drop in temp when you put in the meat.  It will come back up on its own. 
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Received my XL Egg from my wife for Christmas 2011.  I remember asking the exact same question.  Best advice I received was to stabilize the temp, have a few drinks to make sure and then go to bed.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Mkline said:
    This is the only forum I know of that when you ask someone how big their butt is they happily and eagerly respond.  :(|)
    You have not surfed the same internet as me.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I would bump up dome temp to get GRATE temp to 250. My last butt was 8 lbs last weekend. On at 8am and done around 5:30pm. Pulled it iat 196 IT.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chad408
    edited March 2013
    Well change of plans I have two buts about 9 pounds a piece how long at 250. Also I didn't tell y'all I am running a party q guru so hold temp wont be a worry. Just put them on think they will be done by 630 amor do u think i should cook them more like 300 degrees so they are ready at 630am. I am taking them to a lady at work.
    Chubbs said:

I would bump up dome temp to get GRATE temp to 250. My last butt was 8 lbs last weekend. On at 8am and done around 5:30pm. Pulled it iat 196 IT.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    chad408   ---  there are other problems concerning overnight cooks -- the temperature controller is NOT an automatic !!
  • Tjcoley
    Same amount of time.  They will cook as separate butts.  However, no two pieces of meat are the same, and one may finish before the other, and it could be the smaller one takes longer.  You never know.
    chad408   ---  there are other problems concerning overnight cooks -- the temperature controller is NOT an automatic !!

Yea u are right I no there are other problems but grill temp really the most important and I still will have to get up to wrap the Burt and to check in it. Nothing is automatic
  • Charlie tuna
    Many people run out of fuel -  wake up to a cold egg and spoiled meat !!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @chad408 Have you already started? You are talking about taking them off the grill at 630am or having them at work at 630am?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • chad408

dint know how u can run out of fuel on a 10 hour cook. I have cook a lot longer than that and still had fuel.
    @chad408 Have you already started? You are talking about taking them off the grill at 630am or having them at work at 630am?

K started them just after 7 fixing to bast now. Will check internal temp about 2 and foil them at that point. Hope theybare ready by 630 that's when I leave for work.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I would think at this point to get 2 9lb butts done that quick you should probably have the temp at 300-325 dome.  This person at work must be important to promise pork butt that early.
    ;)

I don't know of anyone who has run out of charcoal at that low a temp, just people who haven't built their fire correctly.  And then the charcoal goes out. I suppose you could run out of charcoal if it isn't a properly sealed egg with the dome/gasket and such. Good luck and hope you get some sleep.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    My friend and neighbor just got an electric smoker, to spite enjoying everything I've cooked for him on the Egg. He plugs it in, puts in chips, and walks away. Simple. Easier? Yes. Better? I don't think so. He loves it though. Something about a real wood barbecue. My point, if I have one, is it may be a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it's so much better than others can do.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    chad408 said:

dint know how u can run out of fuel on a 10 hour cook. I have cook a lot longer than that and still had fuel.
    On my first overnight cook I made the mistake of following the directions on BigGreenEgg.com to fill up my firebox to the top of the fire box.  I had to put more charcoal in at 12 hours.  I learned later that I should have filled up the fire box and half the way up the fire ring.  I will try that the next low and slow cook.
    Columbia, SC

• Charlie tuna
    I bought the electric after cooking on Webber Kettle cookers for many years -- i cooked butts on itthree times.  True, set it and walk away, but the end result just wasn't there.  And a major PITA to clean up afterwords!!  As i said, i have read many problems with fires going out, some due to no fuel, and others  kick it up a notch about halfway through probably due to "no oxygen".  Owners asking if the butt was still good???  You will see the "Electric Unit" in this photo, with a glass window in the door..
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    I agree with the others, if you want those butts done by 6:30am you need to crank up the heat to at least 300. Pulling them will also take time (usually takes me 20-30 mins to pull, but my family is kinda picky about fat)
  • chad408
    Thanks for everyones input. Only had one mistake not waking up at 4 to check on it. The party q died and when i got up at 5 the grill was at 180 and meat was about 175. I fired the grill back up with new batterys and ramped the temp up to about 350 for the last hour and a half when i pulled to the meat off the grill it was about 196. Looks awesome will have to post some pics later.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Well done. Look forward to pics.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I bought the electric after cooking on Webber Kettle cookers for many years -- i cooked butts on itthree times.  True, set it and walk away, but the end result just wasn't there.  And a major PITA to clean up afterwords!!  As i said, i have read many problems with fires going out, some due to no fuel, and others  kick it up a notch about halfway through probably due to "no oxygen".  Owners asking if the butt was still good???  You will see the "Electric Unit" in this photo, with a glass window in the door..
    I have an electric just like that, you don't start them and walk away though, you have to feed it wood chips for as long as you want smoke. My food has turned out much better with the egg, and I think it is less work /oversite.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    500 said:

My friend and neighbor just got an electric smoker, to spite enjoying everything I've cooked for him on the Egg. He plugs it in, puts in chips, and walks away. Simple. Easier? Yes. Better? I don't think so. He loves it though. Something about a real wood barbecue. My point, if I have one, is it may be a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it's so much better than others can do.

The egg is a solid machine, but I enjoy being with it, tending it, or being one with my egg. Really, just some excuse to sit on the porch and kick back. What's the fun in plugging something in and walking away. I've got an oven for that. My oven cooks a lot of things but is not made for BBQ!! There's something sinful about the oxymoron "Electric Smoker". Let me have your man card pleas, I want to build a fire with a propane torch!!!

XLBGE 
  • chad408
    Here's a pic of one of the butts
    500 Posts: 3,177
    The egg is a solid machine, but I enjoy being with it, tending it, or being one with my egg. Really, just some excuse to sit on the porch and kick back. What's the fun in plugging something in and walking away. I've got an oven for that. My oven cooks a lot of things but is not made for BBQ!! There's something sinful about the oxymoron "Electric Smoker". Let me have your man card pleas, I want to build a fire with a propane torch!!!
    I agree with you.  And he's a simple man's man otherwise; likes NASCAR, Miller Lite, guns, and trucks.  But he falls short in my book on cooking.  He's a good cook, just very plain recipes.  He just likes salt and pepper on his Butt.  He does say you have to replenish the chips every hours or so.  He also said that Butts make a mess of the smoker too.  Not for me.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Spent three hundred bucks on the Electric Masterbuilt Smoker at Sam's Club.  I have had all kinds of wood fired offset cookers and mastered the use of the Weber Kettles over the years. Been thru five Webers!!  As said, i smoked butts in the electric unit three times, and the mess it created wasn't worth the product it produced.  Consider the glass window built into the door.  Well, it is a good selling point, but as soon as the smoke starts, you can't see thru the glass.  Then the glass is a poor insulator, so it sweats and the liquid mixed with smoke runs down the door and onto the floor.  It has a limited size area for smoke chips, so you have to monitor the unit and add chips bas the cook goes on.  The finished product just didn't have the same quality as a Weber cooked butt.  Probably for the average "back yard week end warrior" it would be great, but after cooking on my webers and offset cookers, i gave up after three cooks.    
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    500 said:
    I agree with you.  And he's a simple man's man otherwise; likes NASCAR, Miller Lite, guns, and trucks.  But he falls short in my book on cooking.  He's a good cook, just very plain recipes.  He just likes salt and pepper on his Butt.  He does say you have to replenish the chips every hours or so.  He also said that Butts make a mess of the smoker too.  Not for me.
    I agree with y'all.  Cooked pork chops tonight, listening to the Carolina - Clemson baseball game and drinking a Miller Lite.  I plan to do the same thing Sunday afternoon but I am going to try baby back ribs 3-2-1.  Carolina - Clemson will be playing the 3rd game this weekend and I plan to enjoy cooking for my family, listening to the game and having a Miller Lite. 
    Columbia, SC

• chad408
    edited March 2013
    Think my thread got robbed lol :-h
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    How did the butts pull Chad??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.