Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Noob, hoping to assemble tomorrow.

It's been a very frustrating week, having purchased my first BGE last Sunday. She's a large, and I picked up the plate setter today (they were out of stock at the time). I'd have gotten to this a lot sooner if not for work

I've already got a MAPP, and built my table (pic). Just calibrated my thermometer. Now, if the rain can hold off tomorrow, I'll get it assembled and hopefully my first cook: steaks (although, I'm welcome to anyone advising a better 'first cook'). I will of course, spend a good while figuring out temp control before throwing any protein on.

Hell, rain be damned. I'm cooking on this thing tomorrow night!
Tucker, GA - LBGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice!  Welcome to the club.  Like your shop.  Bags on the lathe to keep it from shaking?

Yeah man, weather be damned, cook!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They say your first few cooks should be below 400. Maybe chicken or pork loin.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks hen, for reminding me. No reason to go crazy out the gate. Gotta go look up some recipes now!
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • First few cooks should be below 400 to seal the gasket. I agree with henapple, do a low and slow. You can't go wrong with a pork butt to start with. Easy to cook and very forgiving as you learn.

LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Personally my first cook was something I kind of struggled with on other grills-- pork tenderloin. Always seemed to dry on me. Plan was to get instant results so if a good result I would be eggstatic but if it was bad it would just be more of the same. Ended up awesome and the rest is history. Welcome.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Damn fine looking table. Welcome to the cult. Burgers are a good way to get started.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Thank you sir!

As I told the gentlemen at the corporate HQ (BTW - salt of the earth there, I'm lucky to live around the corner): I've spent too much on woodworking tools - I HAVE to build my own table.

Someone needs to chime in and convince me to to make ALL of these things, LOL
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome to the club. No matter what you cook feel free to share pics

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    welcome to the club. don't worry about the gasket, you'll it eventually anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Your table looks great. First cook might be a roller coaster anyways, so just jump in! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome to the obsession. Nice table! 

Cook something you are familiar with that way you can just worry about the differences from your last grill to the last grill you will need to buy (but you might buy more eggs to add to it) I would light it a couple hours ahead if you have the time and play with the bottom vent / Daisy wheel to learn the temp settings. I made salmon for my first cook and it was the best its ever been. Spatchcock chicken was the first cook on my small. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    first cook recommendation from me is a spatchcock chicken. search the naked whiz' site.
  • Welcome to the club. You will love it. 

First cook should be something you are familiar with cooking. It will make it a lot easier to notice any differences from other grills. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Nice looking table - Welcome!

try a spatched chicken, indirect at 350-400, good for the new egg, good for the new gasket and good eats. Use a spaced drip pan on the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Well, I'll call that a success. Got a little nervous when I needed to calm the temp down. I think I'll close the dome and dampers a little sooner next time.

I ended up doing several hamburgers (some of which were not an ideal fat content), a filleted chicken breast which will go great in tomorrow morning's omelets, as well as two plain jane hot dogs.

The hot dogs shriveled up a good bit once off the fire - is that just a quality issue of it just being a traditional hot dog? Now I gotta find a butcher with a better selection of sausages, brats, and if I can find it... Boudin.
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    edited February 2013
    Walmart in my area carries a boudin. It's called Zummo's (from Texas) and it's great on the grill. I know this is not the traditional way to do boudin, but I really like it with crispy skin. I was skeptical about it at first being from Texas and Walmart, but it really is pretty good.

Also, +1 on the lower temp cooks to start with. I didn't do a high temp sear until probably 10 cooks in. I wanted to get comfortable with temp control first, and a long low and slow really let's you do this with a lot of forgiveness.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Leviticus said:
    Well, I'll call that a success. Got a little nervous when I needed to calm the temp down. I think I'll close the dome and dampers a little sooner next time.

I ended up doing several hamburgers (some of which were not an ideal fat content), a filleted chicken breast which will go great in tomorrow morning's omelets, as well as two plain jane hot dogs.

The hot dogs shriveled up a good bit once off the fire - is that just a quality issue of it just being a traditional hot dog? Now I gotta find a butcher with a better selection of sausages, brats, and if I can find it... Boudin.

Wilkes meat market, Oak Grove Market, or Dekalb Farmers Market. You ever try any of those?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Stopped by Wilkes on Brocket the other day - had a great chat with what seemed like the new owner. She indicated she was working on getting a 'sausage guy' in there. It was later in the day as well, so the cases were a little bare, but I snagged some of their bacon burger blend - very nice.

I have a standing policy not to visit Your Dekalb Farmers Market on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. That's when all the yups come down from god knows where in Atlanta and overcrowd it. It's MUCH more tolerable on weeknights. Which reminds me that I should make a visit there before the weekend! - really like their spice selection/packaging.

Have never made it to Oak Grove, but I'll put it on the list. Any pointers?
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Welcome.  You'll soon have lump charcoal dust in your lungs.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009