Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small nest, big wheels... All Terrain Mod

Options
Behold - The EggWagen...***Cue The A-Team theme***

I have been tinkering around with the small Egg nest (some details in this thread) but really wanted bigger wheels. specifically pneumatic wheels to make it easier to move the small Egg around my stone patio.

This baby cruises around the patio easily, and will make it across the lawn as well. Bought the 8" wheels at Harbor Freight. It's rock-steady, and pulling it with the chain makes it relatively untippable. The wheels are fairly heavy, so its good that the Wagen is bottom-heavy, instead of top-heavy (vs. the stock nest). The Egg ends up being raised about 8"-10", so that works out well also.

Test drove it around the patio, and I like the way it moves!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    That's awesome. You need to make them remote controlled
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I guess there are locks on those wheels somewhere, otherwise Humpty goes for a dip!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Nice job on the wheels. It does look sturdy.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Man you work fast, I like it!

I can only imagine all the stuff you will have by the time the pool party rolls around! :D
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Steve: couldn't find pneumatic wheels with locks, so I'll use the same anti-swim apparatus that I use for the large - a wooden clothespin!

@canegger - remote control... now there's an idea. I'll be right back...

@six_egg: yep, it is very sturdy. and that's all I'm going to say otherwise I'm going to jinx something and crash the little guy.

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I would recommend some anti-intruder devices...alarm? 250v taser?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I thought the cart for the large was great, but considering the time this took and relatively minimal expense that's awesome!!!
    ^:)^
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2013
    Options

Okay, now I'd like to see you add a remote control and let do some laps around the pool without getting it wet. LOL

Good Job Cali.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• canegger
    Options
    Ok we all need to make carts for our eggs make them remote controlled and get together and race. I'm sure we could get better ratings then nascar. We just need a name.
  • caliking
    Options
    With a motor and remote control I could probably just drive this puppy to Salado!

@flemster: the PanzerEggWagen mod is coming... but I like the tazer idea. 

@Scottborasjr: I may hitch the two together to make an EggMobile.

@canegger: I'm in. Monster Egg Rally?

• canegger
    Options
    @caliking I like that I couldn't think of a name
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm excited about the PanzerEGGwagen!

I'm all over this mod for my medium now, thanks.

Your design greatly simplifies things.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    love it, its like an erector set and an egg nest had a baby, and that baby is awesome.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    Maybe a hardware cloth shelf to hold some Eggear?
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I love the idea, I think I will make one myself, but omit the Egg nest all together and just create a nice cart. Thanks for the inspiration.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I love the idea, I think I will make one myself, but omit the Egg nest all together and just create a nice cart. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Look a little to the left of his SBGE in his avatar to see the panzerEGGwagen. I want to do one of these or just the dune buggy nest prior to having a more permanent area to build a table.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Much like those lawnmower races, I can see it now as the remote control motor option evolves, we will be having egg races. Different classes, with and without operators "aboard", coolers in tow....
    the possibilities are endless...
    Great solution to a common problem, it is easier and safer to move. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Awesome mod. We will be putting in a flagstone patio within the year so off road wheels my be in my eggs future too. Thank for idea!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    Options

@rustypotts: I was thinking of making a shelf on the lower level of the nest. Can you expand on your idea? I don't know what hardware cloth is.

@michigan_jason: The nest was included free with the egg, so I built around it. I didn't buy the nest for the large because I knew I was going to build a table at some point for that one. I wanted more of a free range option for the small.

@Chubbs: The hard/solid casters don't move very well over flagstones, so the pneumatic wheels are definitely an improvement.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Look what I found! If I didn't have the eggcarten I might do something like this. 
    It is made by Select Outdoor Kitchens and is called the Roost
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Looks like a drunk guy went crazy with an Erector Set!   :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    Options

@Solson005: that is really cool. Some neat ideas for  tables using cabinet bases.

@BOWHUNR: What gave it away that there were beers involved? ?

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2013
    Options

caliking said:

@BOWHUNR: What gave it away that there were beers involved? ?

I just assumed that you, like me, do your best work when fueled by a six pack or more! :D

Mike

BTW, I think I'm gonna steal your idea.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    Options
    LOL! @BOWHUNR - you're right about that! My best cooking though is fueled by scotch. Don't know why there is a difference...

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Options
    caliking said:

@rustypotts: I was thinking of making a shelf on the lower level of the nest. Can you expand on your idea? I don't know what hardware cloth is.

@michigan_jason: The nest was included free with the egg, so I built around it. I didn't buy the nest for the large because I knew I was going to build a table at some point for that one. I wanted more of a free range option for the small.

@Chubbs: The hard/solid casters don't move very well over flagstones, so the pneumatic wheels are definitely an improvement.

Actually I misspoke......My dad used to call expanded metal.."hardware cloth"

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Options
    caliking ......you can get a piece of expanded metal heavy enough to cover the whole base without the trim pieces that you see in the pic.  you can notch out the corners so it just fits tight in the corners.  You could cut off the ends of the bolts that are sticking up.  I think you could make it fit without too much trouble.  the beauty of this is that the shelf would not hold water.  You could just spray it black with Rustoleum.  There is probably no reason to to try to find stainless.
  • caliking
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Got it. Had not thought of expando, even though I've used it before.

For now, I just placed a board there that happened to fit. But the expando would not hold water, so that is a plus.

Thanks!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Caliking thanks for the great idea. I registered late to cook at Georgia mountain eggfest so I have to bring my own egg and just bought a nest last week. I put the 8" solid wheels with brakes on it this morning and its pretty cool. Pretty sure I am goons get mates now and get rid of the table. Its so stable it would be hard to tip it.
  • caliking
    Options
    Yep, its steady as a rock. Glad it worked for you. The pneumatics didn't have brakes, which I would have liked to have.