Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rudy's rub- Texas style

I've just aquired some Rudy's rub. Rudy's is a BBQ joint out of Austin/San Antonio TX. First I wanted to find out about who know's about it? What are you putting it on? It makes a mean brisket. I've added it to stuffed jalapeño. Have you tried it on pork? I want to do pulled pork this weekend and may give it a try. I would love some feedback.

Comments

• I hate it!  I'm sure that wasn't the feedback you were looking for.
    It's too much of salt, pepper, and garlic for my tastes.

I love their sauce, though. Weird how that works.

• scottc454 said:
    I hate it!  I'm sure that wasn't the feedback you were looking for.
    It's too much of salt, pepper, and garlic for my tastes.

I love their sauce, though. Weird how that works.

Sounds like quite a few Texas bbq restaurant rubs (not that that style is bad, at the end of the day its about what makes smoked meat taste best)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Don't know about their rub but their creamed corn is unbelievable.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I swerve to avoid that place. Never had a memorable meal there. Gas fired pit that they throw logs in and any teenager can figure out how to run in 30 minutes (which from what I hear is who runs them and how long they train). Never tried their rub, had a friend that swore by their sauce. From what I can remember, it was ok. My wife will sometimes stop in on the way to work to get breakfast tacos.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:
    I swerve to avoid that place. Never had a memorable meal there. Gas fired pit that they throw logs in and any teenager can figure out how to run in 30 minutes (which from what I hear is who runs them and how long they train). Never tried their rub, had a friend that swore by their sauce. From what I can remember, it was ok. My wife will sometimes stop in on the way to work to get breakfast tacos.
    LOL, my family hated it too. We ate there in San Antonio. Cant believe people rave about that place. That was some of the fattiest brisket I ever seen.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Rub is ok on ribs.  The Denton, TX store is within half mile of my house.  It's the same store that landed the #1 spot when a local TV station ran a news story on worst restaurant scores for Metroplex bbq restaruants.   

henapple said:
    Don't know about their rub but their creamed corn is unbelievable.

copycat cream corn recipe is widely available on the web now.

Rudy's cream corn

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Lived on jollyville rd right behind the Rudy's a long time ago. Used to love it.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I'm kind of disappointed that Rudy's isn't revered too highly. I spent a year in San Antonio at Randolph.  A trip to Rudy's was borderline mandatory after a day of tubing on the Guadalupe.   I loved just about everything on the menu.  I would have loved to stop by again, but after reading the comments, I'm a little leery to check it out again.  Has it gone downhill that much? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I ate at the one in west SA. I believe it was Rudy's. I thought it was good but that was 10 years ago.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    @saltysam I also lived in New Braunfels on the Guadeloupe in an appartment right past the park where you got picked up out of the river. Man, I miss the Gristmill & Gruene dance hall.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I was introduced to brisket at the original Rudy's across from the Leon Springs dance hall in 1997. It was where I first fell in love with barbecue. It got franchised and spread while I lived in San Antonio but I never went to any of the other locations. The original was all wood burning pits in what was once the car bay of an old gas station. It was amazing. Sorry to hear it has gone downhill.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Rudy's is good stuff. Never tried their rub but I am sure a little trial and error might get you an answer.
  • We had one close when I lived in Schertz,TX. I think there are much better rubs available. Agree with Henapple on the creamed corn though. We only went there for the sides. Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo had great creamed corn too.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ate at Harmon's last time I was in the San Antonio area - very excellent Q.