Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp?

Options

Stopped by the store and picked up some shrimp for tonight.  Fairly large, fresh, deveined but still have the shell on.  The shell is just split so they could devein them.  Thinking about just a simple marinade of olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper and some Shaking the Tree and then grilling on the egg for about 2 minutes per side at around 400.  Should I remove the shell all the way to the tail before grilling or leave the shell on?  I would think the shell may add some flavor but most of the recipes I have seen here say to remove the shell to the tail before grilling.

Never done shrimp before so sorry if it's a dumb question.  Thanks.

XL BGE

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would remove the shell.it wont add that much flavor but will hinder your rub from getting on them

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks.  I will remove it.
    XL BGE
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am glad you asked this question @sprigs. I have never grilled shrimp, but plan to soon, and I had the same question. Thanks. 

Oh and post pics or it never happened!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Remove it and don't overcook them, use 2 skewers so they turn easier
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    why not make half on and half off, then youll know the difference. the half shell on will be steamed in the marinade and juicier, the half with the shell off will be drier but have more a grilled flavor. i like shell on better because they seem easier for me not to overcook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I've done them both ways but prefer shell off due to more even marination and even cooking.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm with fishlessman. Most cookbooks I've seen and Cook's Illustrated recommend leaving the shell on for additional flavor and to protect the meat. My husband won't shell shrimp, so i end up grilling the giant variety to get a little char on the outside without toasting the whole thing. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolenut19
    Options
    For grilled shrimp I like to remove the shells, toss in a bowl of grey poupon and little olive oil, then wrap the shrimp in bacon.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I usually remove them, but can be done both ways. I think NecessaryIndelgences keeps it on and hers look great!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

·    Fiery Shrimp Diablo<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

INGREDIENTS

·    2 pounds of jumbo peeled, deveined shrimp

·    1/4 cup lime juice

·    1 tablespoon chili powder

·    1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)

·    1 teaspoon black pepper

·    1 teaspoon sugar

·    2 teaspoons salt

·    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Place the shrimp in a gallon freezer bag. Whisk the remaining ingredients together, then pour into the bag with the shrimp, and marinate for 30 minutes.

Grill over medium heat until they are just done...no more if you can help it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    So am I right in thinking that at 375 or so they should only take about 2 minutes per side?
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    2 minutes per side should be perfect @ 375° I've used Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin on shrimp with good results I'm sure Shakin the Tree will produce the same. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Wow, @dlk7. Just added your recipe to my every-growing list. Looks great. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GGGNAT
    GGGNAT Posts: 14
    Options
    Our local butcher marinates them like this and then you grill them shell on.  Very good.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's a marinade we use all the time and they are a real hit.

• 1/4 cup evoo
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 tsp granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    • mix together in a bowl add the shrimp and coat, cover and refridgerate for 1 hour.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    What timing. I just bought some already veined, shrimp at the store as well.  Plan on wrapping them in bacon and hitting them with some Swamp Venom.
    Can't figure out what else to serve with them.  Thought about some rice or some pasta for starters.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I know its probably too late, but brine it and leave the shell on. Adds flavor, protects from the heat, less likely to overcook and get rubbery shrimp.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Remember, you can eat shrimp raw and they will not hurt you, thats what i tell myself when cooking shrimp in an effort to prevent myself from overcooking them -- better to undercook them.  And once they are "overcooked" the taste is gone!!  And Shrimp is another seafood with a very mild taste and easily "overpowered". 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm late, too. I've done them with the shell on and off -- I really like both.
    Like @Griffin said, the shell will protect the meat, it will also give you a little more room for error. When I take the shell off, it is a VERY fast cook.

One of my favorite ways to eat them is to toss them with cilantro, lime, fish sauce and pistachios after I grill them -- and then peel & eat.

Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios
    I've done this recipe with shell on and off -- again, I like both! :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I'll defer to the southern experts, @necessaryindulgences and @Griffin, but I like shell on for shrimp treated with a marinade. The shell on seems to keep the marinade seasoning on the meat and the split shell allows some, but not all of the steam to escape. If a rub/shake on season is used, I like the shells off. 
    It also depends on the crowd. Shell on is more of a roll up you sleeves and get into eat, while shell off using the tail handle is a little easier to eat without a bib. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    If you use skewers, and they are wood, make sure to soak them for as long as possible before the cook unless you want them to burn.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    billyray said:

Here's a marinade we use all the time and they are a real hit.

• 1/4 cup evoo
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 tsp granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    • mix together in a bowl add the shrimp and coat, cover and refridgerate for 1 hour.
    Forgot the pics. 2 minutes a side
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    They look great!!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

We love shrimp on the Egg. I toss them in a little oil and rub right before I put them on. A few minutes each side, raised direct. They are always a big hit and very easy to cook.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC