Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Secret to Steak

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Cast iron grate. We've cooked steak exclusively on the mini for the past year, and I wasn't completely happy. I was going to do a reverse sear for the first time, and then I got a CI grate. No fuss. Heated it up to 475, cooked the 1-inch boneless rib eye for three minutes on each side, and perfection. Fantastic sear and medium rare throughout. (No pics. Just can't get the husband to buy into pics instead of eating.) CI has earned a place on my essentials list.
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Did it sear "good" when you flippe it, meaning does the CI stay hot enough to get the second sear or do you need a big CI??
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm not sure. My husband did the actual cook. I checked the grate, and it looks like both sides were  cooked in the same area. So I say a qualified yes. We had room to cook it in two areas, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Charlie Tuna... Have you read about the reverse sear on Amazing Rib's.com? No matter what grate you have... I still think the reverse sear is the best way to cook steaks. Most high end steak House's don't serve steak's with sear marks. The entire surface of the meat should have that beautiful dark mahogany crust...MMMmmm, not just a few black lines.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Glad you like your CI grid. Try a reverse sear with your CI GRID, not a grate. Put the CI grid on the fire ring, then your setter then another grid, CI or stainless or porcelain, it really doesn't matter. Smoke your steaks at 275-300 grid until internal is 5-10 below finished temp. The lower the temp the longer and more smoke the meat will take. Then open the egg vents wide, pull the top grid and setter and sear maybe 30-60 seconds a side on the already hot CI grid....Nirvana....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mines coming look forward to it. Like the idea of putting the ci grid then woo and grid . When its time to sear remove woo and get after it.
    Seattle, WA
  • What you are saying is to set the egg up with the CI in place below the plate setter(legs up) then a grid at gasket level to cook the steak indirect.  Cook 10 to 15 degrees below my finish temperature ---- then pull the top grid and plate setter out and sear it on the CI --- ??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What you are saying is to set the egg up with the CI in place below the plate setter(legs up) then a grid at gasket level to cook the steak indirect.  Cook 10 to 15 degrees below my finish temperature ---- then pull the top grid and plate setter out and sear it on the CI --- ??
    Precisely. I do this minus the CI grid, just because I don't have one for my medium. I havea Grill Dome grid extender that I flip upside down(hangs on fire ring) and I put the PS and BGE grid on top of that. I used to just flip the grid extender around, but it's easier to not have to try and place it correctly over really hot coals.
  • OK -- whatever -- the bottom grid/CI grid is just there to support the Cast iron searing surface.  That will cost me another trip to the store for the steaks --  you guys are killing me !! :)]
  • OK -- whatever -- the bottom grid/CI grid is just there to support the Cast iron searing surface.  That will cost me another trip to the store for the steaks --  you guys are killing me !! :)]
    The CI grid is the cast iron searing surface. The idea is to get the CI grid hot so it provides a sear. If you load it in on the fire ring then an indirect set-up, the heat reflected by the setter will have the CI grid smoking hot while you are slow cooking the steaks. When appropriate, remove the raised grid and setter, open the vents and sear on the now already hot CI grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Wow great tips here. I am doing steaks tonight anyways so I will try this method. However unlike jlsm I will provide pictures :)  Just j/king jlsm. As you know we eggers love pics.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I think I heard about a product called Man-Grates or something like that is also the secret to good eats. 
    :D
    XL BGE
  • Skiddy -- you got off easy the steaks were on sale  --- $6.99 for "t" Bone, i'll e-mail the recipet. ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think I heard about a product called Man-Grates or something like that is also the secret to good eats. 
    :D
    Sercret?! More like the Shambhala of grilling  ;)