Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast for slicer?

Options

Id like to pick up and egg a turkey breast to shave deli style for the kids lunch’s, any suggestion on cook, injection, prep? I cook a ton of turkeys, but never just a breast for deli meat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have done a couple in the past month, last week I threw one in towards the end of my rib cook. I used Tony Chachere's injectables butter and Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree rub. 

Most of the wood chips were already done smoking so this one didn't have a smokey taste. I would use some fruit wood if you want to smoke it and just about any rub you like. They don't take long this little guy took less than two hours @ 300°. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    @Griffin also does this; http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1291038/#Comment_1291038 I just picked up a 2.5# breast to do the same, once it thaws out. Sliced a mini ham Friday with the new slicer, the Chefs Choice 615, worked great. Looking forward to the turkey and then some roast beast.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I inject my turkey breasts with either "sour orange" marinate or "Italian salad dressing' to keep the slices moist.  No smoke for my turkey, just Lawry's Poultry Seasoning.  We make a meal out of it, then slice the leftovers .. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Although I like the idea of injecting, I agree with Charlie & the result Solson had, very little smoke. I think poultry is on of the hardest things to smoke without overdoing it, pork being the easiest and beef a little more complicated, IMHO. I also find that turkey breast must be pulled at about 150-155 allowed to rest for 15 or so and then into the freezer for at least 30 before slicing. Maybe it is just me, but I find that fall apart overdone thing happens within a few degrees measured internally. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If you are going to slice it, I would recommend boneless. We do like smoke on turkey breast; I use cherry.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

150-155 seams a bit low,.... no? i guess you will get a few more deg out of it when resting. 

• AlbertaEgger
    Options

So, I took it off at 160, I was going to go to pull it earlier as Skiddymarker suggested but I was slightly distracted. Let it rest for a few, then I foiled, and will stick it in fridge to cool, question is, should I let it cool all the way before slicing? Should I stick it in the freezer for awhile? I would like to get it sliced tonight. New at this whole home deli meat thing…. I only used my slicer for pre cooked ham, and roasts to slice before making jerky.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    for thin slicing i've found it best to slice it cold i usually let it sit in the frig over night and use the non-serrated blade on my slicer to slice it .btw looks great if you havent tried a rump roast yet you should best deli roast beef your ever have 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    crap, i dont have a none serrated for mine, i will have to make do, and look to getting one in the future. Sure thing, i will definetly try a rump roast.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @Albertaegger not sure what type of slicer you have but i found my blade on ebay for 20 bucks brand new every place else was 30 and up 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

Sliced it up tonight and could not help but to make a sandwich....

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great, I need to get a slicer soon.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Nice sandwich --- i'm thinking about a midnight snack now !!  :-S
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Nice looking. Just took mine off.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Thanks! Tasted great, just going to settle in now with the wife, a rum, and a movie, and possibly another sandwich later on....(a small one)