Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Latest Eggcessory

My wife thinks this is for baby food...

Should I get 1/4 cow or 1/2 cow? :)

Comments

• 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig, find a place that has chickens too, im curious on the chickens  <:-P
    green with envy at the moment!!! this is top of my list now, buying bulk meat and a new deep freeze

XLBGE 
  • one more thing.... how many babies do you have!!?!?! if wife is planning on baby food storage, and you have 8 kids, you might need a whole cow!!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    2nd freezer is essential! When I live in Iowa a few years ago, we would get fresh chickens from the Amish farms regularly - uninjected with anything, killed the morning we picked them up. We would go out to the farms more frequently in the spring and summer but would stock up before winter set in. Shared a pig with some friends, and my best friend gave me a goat as a wedding present. Our chest freezer came in very handy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Awesome! I caught one on special at Sears scratch and dent and love it. Upright is better than the deeper ones IMHO because its easier to find things. Congrats!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • We went back and forth trying to decide between chest and upright but that's the reason why we went with the upright - didn't want to always have to dig through stuff!
  • We went back and forth trying to decide between chest and upright but that's the reason why we went with the upright - didn't want to always have to dig through stuff!
    Good choice. We have to dig. Every once in a while we come up from the bottom of the freezer with something we had forgotten about. Surprise Surprise.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Good call on the upright. I too disliked the need to dig in my parents. Unfortunately, my wife didn't fall for the "breastmilk freezer" line.I'll to keep trying.
  • mm8552
    mm8552 Posts: 12
    I just bought an upright too and I love it!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I just bought a new chest freezer 5 minutes ago. 14.8 cubic feet. Glad someone else took the plunge this weekend.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Funny, I got my Food Saver today and told SWMBO that we were going to need to buy a new Freezer. It's true, the Egg was the cheapest part of this obsession!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • My sister is a veterinarian and still uses my parents old chest freezer as her morgue. That freezer is 50 years old. They don't build 'em like that anymore! I had to help her load in a great dane one day. Talk about dead weight!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

My sister is a veterinarian and still uses my parents old chest freezer as her morgue. That freezer is 50 years old. They don't build 'em like that anymore! I had to help her load in a great dane one day. Talk about dead weight!

That would be quite unfortunate to mix up frozen beef with frozen fido. :|
  • I bought a Tivo when DVR's were first on the market (2003).  I told her it was for the baby.  She laughed then, but admits that I was right because I could tend to all baby things without worrying about watching Gopher games.  
  • Upright is the answer, very little gets left behind (buried in the bottom). Easy to see what you have and you are forced to keep it neat or it will avalanche out the door. 

I no longer buy by the 1/4 or the 1/2. Sales on specific cuts provide the most cost effective way to shop and the cuts are from a different animal. Prime rib and T-bones (Canada AAA) were on sale last week for $4.99 lb. 
    We had a 1/4 of beef that I'm sure John Wayne drove to market in a 1950's duster, the most awful beef we've ever had, and we were stuck with it. (My own fault - I should have just given it all back to the butcher)
    Understand about the baby food, my daughter-in-law filled ours with breast milk - creeped me out for weeks...
    @-)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Slightly OT best breast milk story was my sister freezing it in ice cube trays. A friend came over and made a captain morgan and coke.... Yep guess which ice tray he used...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    For a thread about freezers, I'm dying here!   :))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure