Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kind of wood to use?

Options
I want to build a table for an XL egg, I live in northwest Washington which rains a lot and need a little advice on what wood I should go with that is not to crazy expensive, any input would be much appreciated.  Also I want to put a granite top on it, does the granite hold up in the rain? 

Comments

• Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    I live in same area and chose cedar for my table. Holds up well in this climate, great strength and attractive. My LBGE is on a covered deck as well so minimal exposure to the rain. YMMV.
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Sparky, I built my table out of pressure treated 4x4's  and 2x6's and have a granite top.  If you look at page 4 of the table topic and go to the bottom, the third from the bottom was posted in October of 2012 which I have a picture of mine. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    5/4 western red cedar decking is ideal, us Cascadia folks have lots of it. use PT hemlock for the legs and 2X6 if your plan calls for it. Granite should be OK. Had a table but the rain just north of the 49th convinced me to build a roof. 

Good luck.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!