Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make deli style roast beef for sandwiches

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757

This maybe a very stupid question, but I do want to learn how to make it myself. Primarily to reduce sodium, and of course, have egg...

What am I looking for at the butchers and how to.

I have done rib roasts and others, but is there a special way to make sandwich meat?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I can't imagine anything better than prime rub, rare cut thinly on a slicer...also a brisket.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited February 2013
    Mike ( just posted the same question) is doing his roast beef with an eye round. I did mine with a sirloin tip roast. I just egged a corned beef for sandwiches. Turkey and chicken breasts have been sliced for sandwiches. I have done a rib roast and sliced left overs for sandwiches. ;;) I just remembered, I did pork loin and pork tenderloin, and a brisket flat too.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    top round, bottom round, rump roast, sirloin roast..... eye of round is really lean, so it can be a little flavorless. Roast until medium rare at the most. Check out the Baltimore Pit Beef thread.
  • Eye of round is cheap, very lean and you can usually see where the "un-chewable" part is. 

Use a mechanical tenderizer, like a Jaccard 45 knife unit. Indirect at 350-400 until internal is to your liking. Take it off and let it rest for 10-15 minutes then in the freezer for about an hour. Bring it out and use a slicer, paper thin pieces that stack and make great sammies. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Thanks guys, am learnin. One of my favs is Boars Head London Broil. I wish someone who has done this can tell me how. Seasoning, and all.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I get Penzeys English Prime Rib rub for mine.

Doing like Skiddy said is a good way.

Fresh pepper
    Salt
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Celery salt

Maybe ground rosemary, Cumin or cayenne as options. Lots of different ways, but the first 5 I listed are "classic" roast beef flavors.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Aviator said:
    Thanks guys, am learnin. One of my favs is Boars Head London Broil. I wish someone who has done this can tell me how. Seasoning, and all.
      for deli beef, top round, top sirloin, rump all work. dizzy pig cowlick for a rub. cook 275 to 300 max dome to 123 internal,.long rest on a rack instead of a plate or cutting board which will help keep the juices in. wrap in foil and refridgerate over night, slice as thin as you want. if you go with an eyeround consider pit beef sandwiches cooked at 400, rested and served warm, not refrigerated
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it