Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Japanese Rice...Shogun style?..OT

SWMBO wants me to try and make rice like you get in a Japanese restaurant. I love that stuff too. Anybody ever do it? Any help, advice, tips, or tricks would be great. Thanks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• I make sushi about once a week and the key for me to make my own rolls was to nail down the rice process, without it, you're doomed to failure.  That said, I'm far from an expert but I can make my own rolls pretty easily they hold together/look as good as any local place in town.

Measure out a cup of rice, then rinse thoroughly.  You can do this in a fine mesh strainer running cold water over the rice while gently stirring until the water runs clear, 7-10 minutes.  Or place the rice in a bowl and fill with cold water, swirl around then drain; repeat until water runs clear, 10-15 minutes.  Once rice is completely rinsed, let air dry for 20-30 minutes then place in medium sized heavy bottom pot.  Fill with water until it appears just above the level of the rice, 1/2" or so.

Place burner on high and let boil uncovered.  As soon as it comes to a boil, cover with lid and turn burner down to lowest setting for 10 minutes.  When the timer goes off, move covered pot to a cold burner and let rest, covered, for another 10 minutes.  When the timer goes off, gently remove rice into a wooden or ceramic bowl with a spatula.  Add sushi rice seasoning and fan rice while gently moving it around the bowl.  This cools the rice down and forms the starch to make "sticky" rice, should be room temp.  When rice is completely cooled, cover with a moist kitchen towel to hold rice until ready to make sushi.  I usually make my rice early in the afternoon and hold it for several hours until I'm ready to make rice.

I'll grab my seasoning recipe in a few minutes and post that.  Every sushi place has its own seasoning recipe so you can adjust for your own taste, this is just the one I use.

Mark

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    We like it fried. I probably should have said that in the original post. I do have a nice wok but it is a stove wok, not for the egg.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• No worries, I just won't post the seasoning recipe :)
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Do you have a gas stove? If you do you can wok on that otherwise it would be worth getting a Spider from the ceramic grill store and a wok from the same place or get one with a wooden "helper handle" from the Wok Shop I like the 16" for the large egg. I just make rice in my rice cooker 

Put it in the fridge overnight to take the moisture out of it. And put it in the wok the next night! Here is a Thai Pineapple Fried Rice I made on Friday on my small egg. I grilled the pineapple on the egg and then made the rice. 

I'll take the seasoning recipe @CigarSmokinEgger I was going to goto a hibachi place soon to try and figure it out.. I won't tell anyone 
    :-$
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    No gas stove. Thanks for the responses guys.

• I just got the latest issue of Bon Appetit and they have a recipe for shrimp fried rice; I've always had good luck with their recipes.  Don't know if it'll match the style you're looking for but it's worth a shot.  They should have the recipe listed on the site, if not, let me know and I'll post it.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Japanese fried rice is slightly different than Chinese fried rice. 
    Use short grain white rice, cook it and let it cool in the fridge or use the leftover from the day before. The basic ingredients include rice, scrambled egg, vegetables and soy and/or tonkatsu. According to our Japanese student, they always have fish in theirs, left over from previous meal or made just for the rice dish. We prefer it without fish or fish flakes, bonito. 

The veggies are typically green onion, carrot and peas (snap or regular peas - I like canned)

There will be lots of recipes on the net - Most Chinese rice has pork or chicken, more soy and possibly Oyster sauce for taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • No worries, I just won't post the seasoning recipe :)
    I would like the seasoning recipe, if you don't mind.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sushi rice seasoning for 4 cups cooked short-grain sushi rice:  dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar.  You can heat it up to dissolved the sugar but cool it down before using.