Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to get back into forum discussion after a few years away

BamaFan
BamaFan Posts: 658
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
hope all the old timers are still here.

Comments

• welcome back and roll tide! odds are a few of them are, we have recently had some trouble with trolls and stuff.  trolls are gone, but also lost a few good men with them

XLBGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    welcome back.. I am by no means an old time but I still make out alright for mysel. Lol

almost had my egg a year now.
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Just going thru some post I don't see all the old timers that I remember. It's all about cooking afterall.
  • @bamafan where from?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Welcome back, new - old - in between, its all good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    You were gone?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cool. Clanton here
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Mickey
    Just kidding. Welcome back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I was gone too -- i came back -- why? "because it's all about cooking".  Amen to that !
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Mickey, You're back?

Welcome back Bama!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    If you are looking for the "old timers", a lot of them are over on greeneggers forum.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Griffin said:
    If you are looking for the "old timers", a lot of them are over on greeneggers forum.

Why is that Grif?
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

When the forum split into two, some liked the old format (that one) better and some liked the new (this one), so some switched, some stayed and some of us are on both. Actually there is more to it than that, but its complicated and I've forgotten/didn't understand all the details. It got ugly, though.

Seems like this site attracts all the new eggers and gets more traffic. Sometimes its hard to keep up with all the posts and I miss things cuz it can get so busy here at times.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Griffin said:

When the forum split into two, some liked the old format (that one) better and some liked the new (this one), so some switched, some stayed and some of us are on both. Actually there is more to it than that, but its complicated and I've forgotten/didn't understand all the details. It got ugly, though.

Seems like this site attracts all the new eggers and gets more traffic. Sometimes its hard to keep up with all the posts and I miss things cuz it can get so busy here at times.

Maybe that is why the "old-timers" stayed over there... They can't handle all this new-fangled technology, consarn it!   ;)

Wasn't it something along the lines of "fear of change", "corporate takeover", "this is our forum", "where's my ball, I'm going home"? That seems to be the gist of the few threads that are left from late summer of 2011.

• Griffin said:

Maybe that is why the "old-timers" stayed over there... They can't handle all this new-fangled technology, consarn it!   ;)

Wasn't it something along the lines of "fear of change", "corporate takeover", "this is our forum", "where's my ball, I'm going home"? That seems to be the gist of the few threads that are left from late summer of 2011.
    I think it was more that there was no notice or any consultation with the existing forum even though BGE supported the other forum. There are a lot of fine cooks on that site and some really good BGE knowledge. Since new folks are referred here this site has grown and the old one hasn't. I like it here because it's fun to help newbies and a little tomfoolery is not frowned upon. I still post there sometimes but not as much as I did. I see people gravitating here pretty regularly and expect that will continue. I don't see where there should be any animosity from either side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well said Little Steven.  Something about forums(in general) that many times drives people off, while many forum members don't realize the number of active forum members are bailing out and going elsewhere.  The end result is a group of forum members all with the same "mindset"!  And too offen this "mindset" is far from what the forum was originally formed for.....  The only solution is strict inforcement by the moderators.  An example is a fishing forum i belonged to for a few years.  It was great, The members would exchange fishing information freely.  What the fish were being taken on, where,what tide, pictures,etc., etc...   I could go and find the information anytime, because there were enough posters to keep a steady flow of dependable information flowing.  Then entered the the world of politics, which at first was enforced, but got out of hand, and enough pressure was put on the mods, that they just let it go on.  Within a few months, it was noticable that there were not enough fishing reports to give members a good idea what was going on in the fishing world.  So they went elsewhere, which made it even worst!  Like a snowball rolling down a hill, the forum went dead except for a few people happily discussing THEIR political views.  That is why it is so critical for members to back up the mods in their effort to keep the forum on subject ...

I looked back at the Eggers site and found my old posts, talking about my first time Butt questions. When the format changed, I came over here, and haven't been back there to post, but just to look around some. The format here seems easier to navigate. Miss people over that helped me, but I hardly have enough time to keep up with this forum, let alone two.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:
    I looked back at the Eggers site and found my old posts, talking about my first time Butt questions. When the format changed, I came over here, and haven't been back there to post, but just to look around some. The format here seems easier to navigate. Miss people over that helped me, but I hardly have enough time to keep up with this forum, let alone two.
    I remember you and BamaFan from over there. I think you got solid help same as folks get here, maybe better. That is my point

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Charlie tuna...you're saying you're a liberal, fox news hating, Obama supporter. Let's discuss that....hehe
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Actually an "egg lovin"  --  "food channel watchin"  -  "compitition judgin"  -  "internet junkyin"  -  "wantabe barbque cook apprenticin"  -  "fool"!
  • henapple
    I'd have to say I haven't seen any ot threads creating any dissension...although my favorite so far has been the mangrate threads.
  • Mickey
    henapple said:
    I'd have to say I haven't seen any ot threads creating any dissension...although my favorite so far has been the mangrate threads.

It has taken till Friday to give one of the things to someone to try. Travis took one home and if he did not use it to sink a trotline we should get a report.

• henapple
    Cen Tex won't try one? Miss him being on here.
    500 said:
    I remember you and BamaFan from over there. I think you got solid help same as folks get here, maybe better. That is my point
    Yes I did get lots of newbie help over there.  I appreciate that. I just like the format here better. 
    Member since 2009
  • Not an old timer, but a big hello and Roll Tide from Gardendale!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Not an old timer, but a big hello and Roll Tide from Gardendale!

And Cullman

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .