Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Packer Brisket Overnighter

About to throw this baby on at around 11:00 PM. It was 14.34 lbs untrimmed. After trimming, it's just shy of 11 lbs. Hopefully I'll be able to get a little sleep, but I have tomorrow off, so no worries either way.

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Keep us posted. It's still very cold outside but your photo makes me happy that spring is only a month away.

Good luck. You doing burnt ends also?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Yup, gonna do burnt ends too... That's what I'm looking forward to the most. :)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    :subscribe:

You've been on fire lately Dyal, can't wait to see how this turns out!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    knock it out, Debra_ac.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like a good plan for a day off of work!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ok, dumb question. What are burnt ends?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dyal_SC
    edited February 2013
    Thx for the support! ;)
    @henapple, that's not a dumb question at all. :) It's the best part of a brisket IMO. You take the fatty point and cube it up, then toss it with sauce and throw it back on the smoker for awhile. Makes a killer sandwich. I've only made them once before with Big Bob Gibsons technique. With his technique, you just separate the point from the flat, then throw the whole point back on the smoker for awhile longer...,then cube, sauce and serve. Here is a post that I made on another forum about it awhile back.... This was before I discovered the egghead forum. ;)

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23302
  • henapple
    I've never smoked a packer. I'll freeze left overs if I have to but usually try not to. I'm not proficient enough to serve brisket to larger parties unless it's people that I never want to come over again. Hey, there's an idea.
  • Dyal_SC
    Just threw her on... Egg is stable. Will check again in a coupla hours and then hopefully get some sleep. :)

• henapple
    Good luck...
  • The sign is blocked by a light but does it say "beware of attack chef". If so, that's greatness.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Solson005
    I bet that smoke smells awesome. I haven't gotten a bag of those chips in a long time and didn't have a egg last time I did. I'm picking up a bag next time I see them.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Aww yeah... Forgot I had "BBQ Pitmasters" DVR'ed... It's like a BBQ vacation up in the Dyal casa tonight!
  • I love that Gazebo! I would get one myself, but I read it is 8' wide, which is a bit too wide for the location on my deck.
    Gittin' there...
  • Solson005
    BBQ vacation I like it! 

Its funny how many people watch those shows but don't cook, I get quite a bit of inspiration from watching all of the cooking shows and after they are over I want to get to cooking to try out new things. 

When I used to travel for work (300+ days a year for the FAA) I went to 51 Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives spots in a little over a year and never had one bad experience. Some people like watching those shows I like living those shows.. 
  • Dyal_SC
    @Solson005, I try and hit up the local food joints when I'm out of town for work too. :)
    Just checked on the BGE. It dropped down to around 215... Opened the daisy wheel a coupla centimeters. Gonna get some more sleep and then set the Maverick in place in a little bit. :)
  • Dyal_SC
    Thought I would check the temp of the flat.... It's reading 187 deg f internal. It cooked a lot faster than I expected. Gonna bring it to around 200, separate it from the point, then FTC. Surprising since its only been on there for 8 hours. Bark looks great. All we are eating tonight are burnt ends anyways, so I don't mind the flat getting done so soon. Looks like I might get to have a sliced brisket sandwich for lunch too... It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. ;)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looking good Dyal. Wish I had today off. Brisket is so finicky. My last two were 8 lbs. one took 10 hours and one took 14. I have only done burnt ends once. So good though. Where did you find the packer? I usually only find flats in Columbia.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    They always have whole packers at Wally World. May not be the bestest ever grade, but the last one I made was from Walmart and it was awesome. :)
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Looks good .  Monitoring the outcome.  Thanks for the pics.  Need to do some more research before tackling a brisket.  Looking around the stores; I can't find a packer.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Well, the whole dang thing is done. Internal temp of 207. I didn't even foil. The dome temp stayed between 215 and 250 the entire time. Hopefully it isn't dried out. I just placed it on a cookie sheet, foiled it up and FTC. I'll take it out in a few hours and eat a sandwich for lunch. I'll keep the egg going and make the burnt ends later for dinner.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Great looking shrine for the Egg. Sweet looking brisket. What rub did you use?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Solson005
    Man that is a nice sight to see first thing on the forum in the morning! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd take some of that with some sunny side up eggs and a biscuit for breakfast. \:D/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dyal_SC said:
    Just threw her on... Egg is stable. Will check again in a coupla hours and then hopefully get some sleep. :)
    That picture on the left should be on this year's Christmas Card!
  • Dyal_SC
    Mmm...great idea on the biscuit, brisket and eggs! I think I'll be good and let it rest though. :)@GQuiz, its the BGE Cosmic Cow Seasoning. I got a couple of their rubs for free at the Eggtoberfest.
  • Dyal_SC
    Just separated the point from the flat. Had me a light lunch from a slice of the flat. ;) Brisket sammich with horseradish on a potato roll. Foiled the point back up to do burnt ends with for dinner. Turned out very moist and deeelicious! :)

• Solson005
    Bark, Smoke Ring, and moist! I was looking forward to my smoked turkey sandwich, but now I think I have brisket envy! Looks awesome!  ^:)^