Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Direct Clarification

I always considered "raised direct" to mean the main grill raised even with the felt line via woo, Adjustable rig, firebricks, bolts, etc.    I have seen several pictures where the grill is 2-3 inches above the felt line.  Is there a consensus to this term or is it all good?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    From what I've read it depends on the type of food being cooked. In the chicken wing thread, some recommended going higher in the dome for crisper skin.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• For me, raised grid can mean anything that is raised from the "normal" BGE grate. Typically my raised grid setup is adjustable rib with the its own grate sitting on the ceramic ring that the normal BGE grid would sit on, which raises the cooking surface to about 4" above the felt line I think.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• YEMTrey said:
    From what I've read it depends on the type of food being cooked. In the chicken wing thread, some recommended going higher in the dome for crisper skin.
    The higher in the dome, the less burning on the bottom and the more even cooking all around typically.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• JeffM said:
    I always considered "raised direct" to mean the main grill raised even with the felt line via woo, Adjustable rig, firebricks, bolts, etc.    I have seen several pictures where the grill is 2-3 inches above the felt line.  Is there a consensus to this term or is it all good?
    Your first sentence describes what it is. You can extend to higher in the dome, you can lower to within an inch or so of the fire ring. Direct is the cooking grid sitting on the fire ring. Raised direct is placing the cooking grid at the same level (basically the felt line) as the cooking grid in an indirect platesetter set-up, without the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013

I live with AR's in both my Larges. 80% of my cooks at some time or the other ends up a couple of inches over the the felt (and at time higher with adding the extender). To me raised = better control of the cook (in simple terms, don't burn near as much stuff)...... Most of my cooks are direct.

.My Mini has the Mini Woo in it most always. I am thinking of having Tom do me another Mini Woo only higher.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

I live with AR's in both my Larges. 80% of my cooks at some time or the other ends up a couple of inches over the the felt (and at time higher with adding the extender). To me raised = better control of the cook (in simple terms, don't burn near as much stuff)...... Most of my cooks are direct.

.My Mini has the Mini Woo in it most always. I am thinking of having Tom do me another Mini Woo only higher.

I haven't ordered my mini woo yet and I was considering going higher.
    Flint, Michigan