Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn!!!

Holy cow.....this is amazing! I cooked 3 butts last week and my Egg was gross. I've cooked onit 4-5 days a week snce last April, and its accumulated some dark, gross character. Drippings & grease everywhere, and I saw some smoke escaping from my gasket during this last cook. I already had my self stick high heat replacement gasket on hand, so I figured what the heck. I've seen where some of you have done clean burns to restore your Eggs, and I was a little skeptical at how well it would work. Turns out, it's not a joke. I filled up my firebox, put in my platesetter, opened the bottom vent all the way, took off the daisy wheel and let her rip. it wrapped all the way back around to 250 on my thermo, so I'm assuming it was in the 1000-1100 degree range. I let it burn for about an hour and then shut it down. When it opened it up later, I was amazed...white as snow. It almost looked new again!!! I pulled it all apart, scrubbed everything with a wire brush and replaced my gasket. I feel like I have a new Egg again! The only downside is that my dome thermometer was jacked up. I assume this is from the high heat. I just had to recalibration iron some boiling water and its working good as new now. For anyone interested, I took pictures. The picture with the pork n the grill just shows how dark it was before the clean burn. Is pretty amazing that this works so well. I probably wont do it that often, just so I don't inadvertently do harm to my Egg. But this was an awesome experience, and really did the trick.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments