Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with bottom vent

I'm having a problem with my bottom vent and screen. From the get go, it has been tight. I expected this so as prevent air leaks etc.. But it has gotten worse. Tonight I got home and fire it up (XL if that makes any difference). The screen wants to stick and slide with the door and the door moves a lot or nothing. There is no fine tuning temp with the bottom vent because it either slides almost all the way or plumb closed with really nothing in between. Fought so much with it that I was afraid I was going to break the damned thing.

You guys have any ideas? Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• It is definitely not a high tech arrangement. Make sure the track is clean and the screen and door aren't stuck on each other. Or that it slide for back and is stuck behind the frame. That happens often.

XLBGE 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Thanks guys. I'll take a look at it in the daylight and try to pry it open a bit. Made some thick pork cops tonight dusted with a little Dizzy Pig and they were outstanding. Appreciate the tips.
    XL BGE

• Mine was like that when I first bought it.  All you need to do is take a screwdriver and wedge the bottom gap open a little.  Mine's been good ever since...
    Thanks. I have the same problem and will try your suggestion.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • eggishly
    eggishly Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    Same here.  Just got an XL and the tabs on the draft door were laying flat against the surface.  Nearly impossible to slide, so I removed the doors, sanded the edges, put a little silicone on the track, and tried to pry the track open furthur with a big screwdriver.  It still really doesnt work very well, and the screen door wants to slide along with the outer door. I cant say im impressed with the build quality on this part.  Also, I'm seeing some new eggs at my nearest dealer diplayed with latex covers on the door tabs.  Looks like there have been updates to the design??? 

• Mine was like that when I first bought it.  All you need to do is take a screwdriver and wedge the bottom gap open a little.  Mine's been good ever since...
    ++1 just go easy. Should be better after that for ya.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Must be part of the patent, that sticking SOB bottom vent, that's why I use the daisy wheel for air flow adjustments, that other frustrating thing is a PITA. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I suspect the "covers on the tabs" of the draft door were added as a safety measure as some folks were posting about cutting themselves on the sharp edges.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Make sure that your draft door is on the outside and not behind the screen door. I tore a corner of my screen off in the first week because of this. It was really hard to move also. I occasionally pull the draft door to far open and it ends up going behind the screen door again. Something to watch for.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I suspect the "covers on the tabs" of the draft door were added as a safety measure as some folks were posting about cutting themselves on the sharp edges.

Learned that the hard way... Worse than a paper cut. When do they start selling Big Green Egg band-aids?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Make sure that your draft door is on the outside and not behind the screen door. I tore a corner of my screen off in the first week because of this. It was really hard to move also. I occasionally pull the draft door to far open and it ends up going behind the screen door again. Something to watch for.

If your egg is in a nest, you can turn the egg slightly so the handle on the vent hits the leg of the nest and stops before it falls past the screen. That is what I did. My screen has moved with the vent door since I have had my egg a few years. Never even used the screen
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Are there any aftermarket updates/improvements out there on this draft door design?  Skiddymarker mentioned the "daisywheel" design.  I went to a website that offered this a while back, and they said they no longer offered it (patent fright?).
  • eggishly, the daisywheel that Skiddy was refering to is the circular vent on top, not an aftermarket part.

I have a new large egg, and it has those tab covers. I have the sticky screen problem on the draft door as well, but it's not a big deal -- I just hold the screen part closed with one hand if I need to adjust the opening.
  • jigawatt said:
    eggishly, the daisywheel that Skiddy was refering to is the circular vent on top, not an aftermarket part. I have a new large egg, and it has those tab covers. I have the sticky screen problem on the draft door as well, but it's not a big deal -- I just hold the screen part closed with one hand if I need to adjust the opening.
    Like you jig, I use both hands if I don't want the screen to move also, but I'm gonna try the screwdriver trick and see if I can widen where it slides so it will move easier.  Don't reckon slapping some oil done there would be a smart idea!!!!!!
  • @jigawatt I also have a new large and mine does the exact same thing.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's