Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WGWW is it worth it...failure to light

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Not to sure after tonight. My torch was out so I tried canola oil paper towel method twice...fail.
OK how about alcohol...doused it and lit into big fireball. Came back 15 mins later nothing. All this and there were a few leftover already used coals from another cook. I did the alcohol twice ...fail.

All I got was a little light at the bottom that did nothing after 25 Mins.

Wife said give it up..maybe some Smokey flavor with royal oak is ok since i can get it up and running fully in 10-15 mins.

Did I mention all this on a mini? Don't even want to know how hard it is to light in a large.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• I use a chimney and I've not had problems lighting any lump.  Temp control and flames are another issue, but the chimney always gives me a easy light.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Using WGWW on a large, the only time I had trouble lighting with oil soaked paper towels was when I forgot to open the bottom vent. Otherwise good to go in 15 to 20 minutes.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• SkinnyV
    Tjcoley said:

Using WGWW on a large, the only time I had trouble lighting with oil soaked paper towels was when I forgot to open the bottom vent. Otherwise good to go in 15 to 20 minutes.

How soaked.... do they need to be drenched? 2 different pt not drenched but they lit up and burned for a while, it did nothing.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV

I use 1 big green egg firestarter (1.5" square wax and sawdust) Have not had a problem starting WGWW yet.

Might need to try these. When I did have propane it took a long while to get em lit. Buying mapp next but not sure its drastically different.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    SkinnyV said:
    How soaked.... do they need to be drenched? 2 different pt not drenched but they lit up and burned for a while, it did nothing.

I've used this technique since seeing the post from @fishlessman. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy I use a plastic container with a sealed lid in stead of a coffee can, and no rock. Works great. Much less messy than soaking as you need them and they burn longer.
  • I have been using a couple bags of WGWW and yesterday cooked a brisket so I cleaned out and reloaded with all new lump and it took forever to light. I was using a loof lighter. so I agree it takes much longer than any brand I have used. it also does not burn as hot as the BGE or Cowboy lump that I use. but, I really like that it does not smoke as bad and it does not give the food a smoky taste. with that said I will still continue to use it.
    Brandon, MS
  • No expert here by any means but if you are lighting a mini wouldn't there be a lot less air flow to get the coals going by the paper towel and oil method? I'd really like to hear Mickey give his thoughts on this since he has probably as much mini experience as anyone. I know when I light my large with paper towels and oil it can sometimes take a couple of shots and I've never tried it with WGWW.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyV
    Hmm I was putting my paper towels under the lump, not like pictured in the other thread where it sat on top. Wonder if it hindered the fire.
    That being said I will try again.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    All about air flow. The towels need air to burn, so if smothered in lump they will go out. I push them down a bit into the coals, ans LOOSLELY place a couple pieces of lump on top. Be careful not to smother the fire. You will be up and running in no time.
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Skinny, I have been using WGWW exclusively and it is no more difficult to light than anyother, any method you chose to light it. Also WGWW seems to burn hotter and longer than many others once you get going. As someone mentioned, did you clear the grate in the bottom? Its all about airflow.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I use the electric BGE lighter. Works great, Forgot to close the vent Saturday night and had 1000+ 15 mins after I pulled the electric lighter out. It pegged out the dome therm. and went back around to about 350 or so. May just be me, but WG seems to light faster with the electric starter then RO does.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    Tjcoley said:
    SkinnyV said:

I've used this technique since seeing the post from @fishlessman. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy I use a plastic container with a sealed lid in stead of a coffee can, and no rock. Works great. Much less messy than soaking as you need them and they burn longer.
    it works really well this way compared to putting fresh oil on a napkin, gives it a nice even soak thats almost dry to the touch and lights so much better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I use nothing but Wicked Warrior anymore.  I've used firestarters and haven't had a problem at all.  I've even lit it from below the fire grate, thru the vent with nothing but newspaper when my lid was frozen shut.  No problems ever lighting it in my use of it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I use WG exclusively.  Invest in a weed burner.  I have my roaring at 500+ with in 5 minutes. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I've only had that problem once but the humidity was in the 90% and I'm pretty sure that affected it. I've been using a looftlighter now and haven't had any troubles. Easily shaves off 15 minutes off my light times.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    weed burner will light any lump almost immediately
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I don't know why more people don't use a weed burner or an electric starter.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    It's worth it
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I also use 1 BGE starter cube with my WGWW and I have NEVER had a problem lighting my lump.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2013
    Got it going tonight the day old soaked paper towel loosely sitting on top made a huge difference. Thanks for the tips, yesterday was frustrating for sure.

BTW it took 2 because I prematurely closed it the first time worrying I'd get too high of a temp which killed the fire early.
    Seattle, WA
  • I load my large up, light one piece of fire starter square in the bottom vent, close the screen, leave the dome open and within 30 mins the fire is going and I'm adjusting the vents to settle in the temp I am after.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I love WGWW - never had a problem lighting.

Had picked up a bag of Ozark Oak couple of weeks ago, used it for a brisket.  Bad experience - back to WGWW.

Cookin in Texas
    500 Posts: 3,177
    +1 for the Weed Burner.  I also hit it with the Air Grill.  My Kroger lump is running clean in no time.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    FWIW, hard to start lump is a good sign. Its probably harder to start because it is higher in pure carbon content. Little wood residue or VOCs to work as a booster to start the carbon burning. Result, once kindled, longer and cleaner burn.

There was some lump made in Namibia that showed up in Canada a few years ago. Several Eggers reported great difficulty in starting it. I looked the stuff up and found that it was exceptionally pure. To bad it hasn't been imported to the states.

I use a torch, usually fueled w. MAP Pro gas. Count to ten, and lump is going.