Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gasket question ...

My egg is almost a year old, and have been watching my gasket deteriorate since I've owned it.  Realizing my gasket warranty is up next month, I had the mothership replace it for me with their new high heat gasket.  With it being cold still, I'm going to wait until it warms up to make the switch.  Now looking at what I have, I'm wondering if it would be better if I strip off what I have now.  I'm noticing a ton of smoke coming out from between the lid and base.  Just wondering if I'd likely get a better seal with no gasket in the meantime.  What do y'all think?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited February 2013
    I haven't had a gasket since july. Don't put it on yet...or at all.... smoke leaks a little but moisture is still the same and no problem with low and slow.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

I'd strip and replace at the same time if it were me.

If you did not get a good seal with a gasket, doubt you will get one without.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Focker said:

I'd strip and replace at the same time if it were me.

If you did not get a good seal with a gasket, doubt you will get one without.

I would prefer to strip and replace at the same time, but with below freezing temps, I'm worried the new one wouldn't cure properly.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • The gamble is if you are seeing "a ton of smoke coming out from between the lid and base" with the well used gasket you have, will you see two tons of smoke coming out between the base and lid if you remove the gasket entirely?

If you can still snuff out the fire in a reasonable time, I'd leave it on, it is acting like a well used shock absorber. 

Many folks have no gasket at all and continue that way for years, so whatever decision you make will be just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Again, IMHO you don't need a gasket, just clean each side and adjust lid if need be, you will get a good enough seal. If you insist on using a gasket, just clean now, use until warmer weather, then install new gasket.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Greeno55
    Skiddy, I guess that's my main concern.  There are plenty of gaps where gasket used to be.  I was thinking most of the smoke was escaping through those voids.  but if you think it'd be worse with no gasket, I'll likely leave it on until the weather warms and I can do a complete replacement with the new high heat one.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited February 2013
    There are gaps because there are areas with gasket still there and areas without. Get rid of the remaining gasket and test it. Then either wait till spring or install now.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    only worry about the gasket if you can't hold temps.  
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A couple of years ago, 1 of my Eggs' gaskets developed major gaps during winter. It became hard to shut down, etc. I made do till spring by cramming brown paper or tinfoil into the gaps.

I'm curious about what I see in the pics. While I've often had gaskets as thin, and cracked, they have always slick w. grease and sooty. Did you do a bunch of cleansing burns during the last year?

• Greeno55
    I've done 2.  Over the past year I've cooked on it an average of 5 times a week.  Lately I've been making pizza weekly, and doing more and more woks.  The pictures didn't turn out like I wanted.  Didn't focus on the right points.  I was firing it up for some low and slow ribs and the smoke made me want to get in and get out.  There are some parts that are right down to ceramic.
  • You're gasket looks fine, don't rush the project.  Like Tom mentions above, you will need to replace once you can't hold temps.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Focker
    edited February 2013

I wouldn't do it now, unless you can bring it inside to a heated garage or spare room, basement.  Thought you were waiting until warmer weather?  You will go through some more lump, and certain temp ranges may not be reached, but it hasn't slowed you down until yet.

By the looks of your OEM gasket, I think you have an alignment issue, but I may be wrong.

My older large stripped completely naked, would not align.  The Rutland gasket corrected the ceramic imperfections. 

Removing the old gasket is the worst part.  Take the bands off, place a large towel or blanket over the entire top of base, invert the dome and place it inside the base.  Strip.  Take dome out and strip base.  Do the same when installing the new gasket and put the gasket on the dome first, remove dome, and apply gasket on the base.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Greeno55
    When my lid is closed, the alignment looks spot on. No real issues with temp control, and fire seems to snuff out well. Just noticed a steady flow of smoke the other day. May wait till spring and just do a full replacement. Thanks for the info.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    edited February 2013
    Most issues that I have seen with leaking smoke were more an issue of alignment than gasket.  I went 4 years with a deteriorating (and then no) gasket and it never leaked until it got out of alignment. 

But based on your Egg functioning fine in your last reply, I'd definitely leave it alone until weather is warmer.  Heck, I waited two "next Spring when it's warmer" years before finally replacing mine
    :))
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Focker said:

....  Take the bands off, place a large towel or blanket over the entire top of base, invert the dome and place it inside the base.  Strip.  Take dome out and strip base.  Do the same when installing the new gasket and put the gasket on the dome first, remove dome, and apply gasket on the base.

Not sure this is the best advice for every Egg owner.  I have seen more then a few Egg owners quickly remove the Dome of the Egg to make the gasket project easier....only to find out they are unable to get a good seal on the Egg when they try to reassemble the Egg.  They then burn out the new gasket and the "tail spin" starts.    I have changed many a gasket with the dome still on the Egg, it can be done.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Order your gasket before warranty is out.
    In the mean time scrap off the old one, align if necessary and run naked. You may find gasket not necessary......Just don't slam the lid down.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I hear of this Nomex and the others.

What I want to know is......which gasket do I have?

It is grey and wooly in appearance.

I just got my egg in October and It has been snowed in since. (that will change next winter) so mine looks brand new still. If this is the "bad" gasket should I contact the Mothership for a replacement?

• Greeno55
    edited February 2013
    If its grey and wooly it's likely the old one. I think they started shipping with the new high heat one in Septemember, so, maybe it's just stock your dealer had. BGE tells me this new one is even better than Nomex, but I can't confirm yet. If you do have the old one, just do a couple pizzas, or high heat cooks and you'll know fairly quickly.

I had them replace it by telling them my current one is shot. Not sure if they normally ask for pictures like they do with other warranty replacements. But they likely just expect to have to replace their $0.50 gasket.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I went 15 years with the original gasket.  All was well.  Then I joined this forum and thought I need to change my gasket!!!!

I changed the gasket with a Rutland on the base.  Got it all out of alignment and wound up giving the large to my son and buying a new XL.

Gasket cost me $40 or so and the XL and custom table cost me $2K

Moral of the story:  DON'T CHANGE THE GASKET
    B-)
  • Greeno55
    15 years??? We're they originally made of asbestos?? :D
  • Focker
    Focker said:

....  Take the bands off, place a large towel or blanket over the entire top of base, invert the dome and place it inside the base.  Strip.  Take dome out and strip base.  Do the same when installing the new gasket and put the gasket on the dome first, remove dome, and apply gasket on the base.

Not sure this is the best advice for every Egg owner.  I have seen more then a few Egg owners quickly remove the Dome of the Egg to make the gasket project easier....only to find out they are unable to get a good seal on the Egg when they try to reassemble the Egg.  They then burn out the new gasket and the "tail spin" starts.    I have changed many a gasket with the dome still on the Egg, it can be done.

Tweaking alignment is a rite of passage for egg ownership.  With expansion and contraction, I doubt any egger will only adjust their bands one time.    It's a couple of nuts and bolts....far from a craniotomy.

If an egg owner does not take the time to properly align after installing a gasket, its their own ignorance causing the "tail spin". 

It would not be fun removing a charred gasket on the dome while it is in the opened position.  How do you work around the hinged area? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Greeno55 said:
    If its grey and wooly it's likely the old one. I think they started shipping with the new high heat one in Septemember, so, maybe it's just stock your dealer had. BGE tells me this new one is even better than Nomex, but I can't confirm yet. If you do have the old one, just do a couple pizzas, or high heat cooks and you'll know fairly quickly.

I had them replace it by telling them my current one is shot. Not sure if they normally ask for pictures like they do with other warranty replacements. But they likely just expect to have to replace their $0.50 gasket.
    I just called b/c I have the old one on my XL bought in January- old dealer stock I suppose.  Anyway, they are sending a replacement high temp gasket and did ask for me to send a pic which I gladly did
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited February 2013
    @Duganboy-"And now we know the rest of the story"    I recall you wrestling with the alignment.. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.