Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stumped by Burgers!

Last night was the second time since I've had the egg that I cooked burgers.  The first time, I don't count, because it was the very first time I have even fired up the egg.  

Last night I cooked them at 350, felt line level flipped once until 160 IT.  They were "okay", nothing to write home about.  

So how do you egg your burgers?

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• anez
    anez Posts: 150
    did two 1/2 pounders last night and they were great. stuffed one with blue cheese. I did them at 400, about 6 mins each side. pulled when they were 135ish. juicy and delicious. 
  • I cook burgers on mine about once a week. I also cook the at 350. 

I wait about 30 minutes after I light the grill before I put them on. I put on dry Jack Daniels chips and the put the burgers on right away. 

I flip them every two or three minutes. 

I have only had my large for a little over a month, and I have noticed that each cook is getting better and better. Is is me or BGE? I don't know, but keep trying, and I am confident that they will get better.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    Last night was the second time since I've had the egg that I cooked burgers.  The first time, I don't count, because it was the very first time I have even fired up the egg.  

Last night I cooked them at 350, felt line level flipped once until 160 IT.  They were "okay", nothing to write home about.  

So how do you egg your burgers?

Many ways to cook a good burger. Did you use any seasoning? We're they direct or indirect? I like to dust them with DP Cow Lick then cook them indirect until the IT is about five to seven degrees less than my target internal temp. I then bump the heat to about five hundred and sear them direct on my CI grid for one to two minutes per side to lock in the juices. I let them rest for three to five minutes before serving. That has been my go to method but there are many out there. May also want to take into account the fat percentage in the meat you used...more fat equals a juicer burger IMHO.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Basic burger technique for me is a patty about 1/3 lb. Cooked raised direct, dome between 350 and 400F. Flip after 10 minutes, and note if any are more done than others. Shuffle them around, moving the less done over the hot spots. After another 5 - 7 min., flip and shuffle again. Cokk for another minute or 2. Then, a nice brown and bubbling patty is ready for a bun.

I don't think Egg technique is all there is to making a good burger. Lots of Eggless cooks spend a lot of time refining their burgers. What meat to fat ratio, for instance. Most go for at least 20% fat. Some more. And what cut of meat. Some people say ground sirloin, others say brisket. I cheat. I use ground chuck, and mix in some ground pork.

I've read different things about mixing salt or salty rubs w. the meat before cooking. It may be a plus or a negative, I can't really tell. I like adding salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, maybe some Wooster when I'm making the patties. Sometimes, add a beef-centric rub, and coat the patties in tamari. Let them rest while the Egg is coming to temp, and the smoke is clearing. I've not noticed the patties being tough or drier, just more tasty.

But, I rarely serve w/o a little cheese on top.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    80/20 Angus
    Hidden Valley powder
    Egg

Saute mushrooms and onions
    Form two lg Patties, lay the m,o and feta.
    Pinch the ends together to seal.
    I cook at 300 indirect till I can flip without tearing them up.
    Take PS off, open the top and get the flames going and then about 2 min per side.
    I use a little mesquite.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I use 80/20 or 85/15. I like 85/15 the best as a compromise between flavor and health concerns over fat consumption.  Once it gets to 90% or leaner, I find they come out too dry unless I've mixed something in there. 

I mix in some bread crumbs and spices.  Form into patties around 6 - 7 ounces depending how many ounces were in the package.  I like to make them at least 30 minutes in advance and put them back into the fridge.

I cook them up around 450* raised direct.  Doesn't bother me if the temp creeps up from there.  Toss in a couple mesquite chips.  As gdenby suggested, I move them around when I flip them to account for hot spots.  Takes less than 10 minutes to cook; sometimes as little as 6 minutes.  You probably know this, but don't flatten them with the spatula when cooking; that squeezes the juice out of them.

If you can't do raised direct, I'd still do them direct at 400* or higher.  I think of all the good burgers I've done on the weber kettle or even crappy picnic grills.  Direct and high heat works unless I've got something else going on like henapple's recipe. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I enjoy a grilled - cheese filled - portabella mushroom - burger !

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Juicy Lucy's tonight...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm with @ragtop99. I use high heat, 500 or so, to get a deep char on the outside with the help of a little of mickey's coffee rub. I get my burger from a butcher who grinds it himself, so I cook to medium rare. Times vary greatly between the large and mini, with large taking far less time. 

Took me awhile to get a technique that I liked. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I think the fat content of the burgers is the key item in good burgers. If you get burgers that are 90 or 93 percent lean they just aren't going to be that juicy unless you add something to the equation. 85/15 0r 80/20 burgers bring their own fat juices to the party so they should be fine. For lean burgers I've seen many recipes that add butter to help make things more juicy. Other recipes put the condiments like mustard, steak sauce or cheese inside to help out.

The best burgers I've ever made used 70/30 beef. They were from Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. He made the point it is silly to use lean beef and then have to add some sort of fat back in to get the burgers moist. He had a point. These burgers were excellent, but they did shrink a lot.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Great posts all.  Thanks for the many options.   I do like the idea of higher cooks temps with a sear. I missed that Mallard reaction on my burgers, even though they were juicy.   Can't wait to try again!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • I realize that "health" codes state that ground beef goes to 165 internal but if you cook a burger that has less the 25% fat to that temp it's gonna lose a lot.  I typically pull burgers at about 150 degrees internal if I am serving others, 140 if it's just me.  I'd never make a burger with anything more then 85% lean meat.  This whole thing is just finding what works for you and it used to be cooking a burger was one of the easiest ways to figure it out.  But now with non-sale meat prices at 5 bucks a pound it's another expense.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I have a patty press and make them 1/3-1/2 pounders stuffed.  I then do them indirect high in the dome at 350-400 dome temp.  Love them that way...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Size of burger and what spices you like are not an issue. 80/20 and final temp @ 140 are a must for me. And let them rest a few mins. I like direct, and if you have CI grid or griddle that's the best. I don't always use a pan or griddle but nothing beats the hard sear crust of the CI griddle or pan, for me
  • Practice makes...better burgers!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited February 2013

I've only cooked burgers one time on my BGE and they sucked. The problem is that my wife likes her burgers and steaks ruined Oops I mean well done. I like mine  medium to medium rare. So I got me a CI grid and a PSWoo2 to go with my platesetter. Im gonna try reverse searing next time, That way I can get hers well done before I sear them.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    80/20 meat, 450-500 dome, about 3 mins per side, only seasoned with salt & pepper, son in law says "the best burger in have ever put in my mouth"!
  • You didn't say what type of meat and the fat content, but to reiterate what others have said...I prefer about 80/20.  The fat is key to keeping things moist.  Normally cook mine at about 300 degrees and do first flip when I see some 'juice' coming to the surface.  165 internal for ground meet purchased from meat rack. 

I have been using some Montreal Steak seasoning on mine lately and they've been really tasty.  Lots of compliments.
    XL BGE
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I use onion soup mix and Worcestershire sauce mixed into the meat and generously sea salt and pepper the outside.  Always a hit.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    what ruined burgers for me on the egg was the thermapen, once i stopped using a thermometer on them and just cooked them like i used to before egg and watching the juices puddle up on top before the flip, things got way better. almost seems to me that ground meat reads lower on a thermapen forcing you to overcook them. i like hotter temps with them as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'm a fan of the reverse sear, especially for burgers. Allows you to cook, smoke and keep the juice in at a lower temp, 300-325, indirect. until desired internal temp. Those who like well done - put their's on 10 minutes before those who like good burgers, medium to medium rare. 

80/20 is the mix. Keep the burgers fluffy, if you use a press (which I don't) don't push to hard. They need some fluff. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Yes, keep them fluffy. Burgers need a light touch and no over-mixing.
  • I think the key is an 80/20 fat mix seasoned to taste with your favorite seasoning, which for me, sometimes changes. (Don't over handle the meat) I stabilize the egg at about 375 dome and put burgers on raised direct.  I don't touch them until I see them covered with moisture on top.  Then, I flip them once adding cheese if desired.  (I never press. That squeezes out the juices)  I check the bottom after about a minute to see if I have the necessary char by lifting the edge.  When they lift cleanly without sticking, they're done.  Pull and rest in foil for 5-10 minutes.  This method always comes out juicy at about med/well.  If you want med or less, flip when moisture first starts to appear on top, not covered.  All else remains the same.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2013
    Sorry to be repetitive... here some of the things I do:

I, too, use 80/20 ground chuck (ground at the butcher).
    I try not to over-handle the meat when I make the patties (or while cooking) and make them just before putting them on the Egg.
    I like simple seasonings on burgers -- usually only salt & pepper.

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

I cook them at about 450-500F, direct and only flip once -- sear, flip...

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

Sear, add cheese & bacon...

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

Dwell and eat...

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers
    Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

Keep practicing... you'll find what works best for you.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

I prefer a burger done not on open flame but on a flat top/griddle.  To me, easier to manage, get a nice carmelization, and you can keep all that yummy grease in tact.  If you are running into dryness on the grill, which is easy to do, i like to take portabella caps and put them on top of my burger in teh bun, with a piece of cheese in between.  That will take a dry piece of meat and turn it into gold pretty quick.

My preference is about a 78/22 if you can find it.

I hand press my own patties, and incorporate any seasoning into the ground beef prior to forming the patties.  One tip to keep the juices in is to use a small percentage of bread crumbs when you preseason.  The bread crumbs will act to keep moisture from fat inside the pattie by absorbing it. 

Good luck.

- EAT BEEF -
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    just because its an awesome pic.....cooked this up a couple weeks ago, 400* griddle indoors. 
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Grind my own - grind the onion and spices right into it..  Really happy with the results!

A little pic heavy sorry..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Just got a new grinder so I plan on grinding my own.  I'll have the opportunity to try thing like this.  I want to try grinding bacon, mushrooms, onions, etc. into the burger.  Can't wait to play with my new toy.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)