Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need held with grilled veggies.

Let me first say that I hope all are safe and warm in the north east. I took the grands to pick strawberries this morning and the spring onions were ready for picking. That led to grilled veggies for dinner with our hamburgers. When I grill veggies I do a lot! I like to have them left over and toss them with balsamic vinegar on top of my salad the next day. My problem is every time I have tried to do them on the egg the flames from hell like to rise up and dance around my arm. How do you get a good char and deal with the flames?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Granny- are u draining off the excess oil and balsamic before putting on the grill? Also are you using a basket or straight on the grid? Going raised grid should help some too.
    Greensboro, NC
  • I've cooked peppers and onions in the wok to get the char, even when I'm not doing a stir-fry.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited February 2013
    Wolfpack, I cook so many veggies that I use both. Balsamic vinegar goes on the salad but a little oil and seasoning on the veggies for the cook.. I have done the raised grid but I have a hard time closing the lid and the heat builds up and the flames pay me a visit. I have cooked veggies on the gasser for more years than I care to count but I just can't seem to figure out the fine line of the flame or baking them.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I just go at 400 in the SS pan and like you use the balsamic and EVOO. . Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Try cutting the heat down a tad. Stable egg at 350-400, raised direct. I do 1/4ed sweet peppers at this all the time, get a nice char, yet the pepper is still somewhat tender crisp. Pieces go right on the grid, no pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cut back on the oil.  You can even use no oil.  I like to "dust" it with some canola spray.  Another method, toss the veggies with just a little oil in tupperware or an inflated zip-loc bag.  Takes a lot of tossing to get a small mount of oil evenly coated. 

Cook raised if you have flare-up problems.  Your heat is more even.  Spread out the veggies so you don't have too much oil fall in one place.
    My wife bought me one of these it is great to add just a bit of oil to veggies I use it all the time and I have a similar thing for vinegar but it is more of a spritz bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004SPZV
  • I cook mine indirect at 350 to 375.  Bought(Home Depot) the "stainless steel" veggie cooker - square - tappered - pan with holes in it.  Burp the egg each time i raise the lid to stir the veggies.  This week i did brussel sprouts-mushrooms-green onions!  Cut the sprouts in half(cook even the leafs that fall off) and coated with a "minimum" of good olive oil!  Got then cooking first for 30 minutes, when add the mushrooms and green onions.  Pulled in about ten minutes!!  Great side.  The onions really set the taste off in this side!!  Originally, i had the same pan, but the black coated one and it was a pain to clean -- the stainless is a few bucks more but  very easy to clean..  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do mine in a mesh basket if I want them charred. If not, in a hdap with evo, s&p with a little chicken broth in the bottom.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    Thanks all. Nola, I'll cut back on the oil. For some " slap head" reason I wasn't thinking about the amount of oil I was using. I do cook a lot at one time. Utarded, I have one of those sprayers. I'll dig deep to find it. Charlietuna, I use the stainless veggie cooker too. Mostly use it for the onions and green beans and any thing else that might be trying to get through the grid. I will also go with a lower heat and hope all of that will keep the flames at bay! ;;) PS. I was a little tired last night and I'm guessing that you all figured out that I meant " help". Thanks.
  • GrannyX4
    Henapple, is that like the one from Williams-Sonoma? I have been eyeing them. MDSH loves the veggies with grill marks. For some reason will eat them and ahhhh over how much he likes them. Cook the same veggies another way and not one ahhh.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I keep it stored in the gasser. Actually of you'llsstir occasionally they will char.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN