Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paver wood and fire risk

Trying get my table all done up. Got a paver to put my egg on. Don't want to use my feet cause I wanna cook with them.

Table, paver, tile, egg

Is that safe?

@nolaegghead

XLBGE 

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Here is my setup built a double h under the stone, 2" paver and egg right on top checked for burns and its good to go image
    Egg is on the left side (hole wasn't cut at that time)

I think it gives me enough airflow to keep the stone cool enough not to burn the wood

Hope this helps
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Ok I don't know why the first one didn't go in big but you get the idea I hope
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Here's my set up nurse. It's nolaegghead approved. :P
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    What about a table nest....its a cheap accessory too!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I don't have a wood table but if I did this would be enough for me to have an air gap: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    You can use metal pipe T's or elbows to cook with as an alternative or get a table nest & keep your feet for cooking.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • @R2Egg2Q
    Lol. Yea that got my attention. I cooked over some bricks with air gap on jus a pine stand for a year. No burn when I took it off last month. But with my table, two eggs, and a lot more cooking coming possibly over nights and leaving the house I want to be safe!!

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @MrCookingNurse - Safe is Good and it isn't like a big expense to play it safe. Too bad it is so hard to find extra feet these days.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • @R2Egg2Q
    I actually got the feet I have free from the local dealer. Feet that came with my egg I shipped to another member last year cause I didn't know what to do with them!!
    I'm look into the table nest. Maybe can swipe a few feet while I'm there too

XLBGE 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I had a paver under my egg at first but it was a little wobbly, kinda like the bottom of the egg wasnt flat. I removed the paver and installed the table nest. I like it a lot better now. Its seems more stable to me. But after reading this, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm  I am glad I went with the nest.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Hope every "Newbie" reads this thread. The Whiz example with the burn surrounded by the three feet happened to me. My dealer set it up that way....just for the hell of it I looked under the table and the burn was clear through the board. Replaced the wood and now I have a paver AND the feet.    [-O<

Opelika, Alabama
  • Guys, you ALWAYS want airspace between your Egg and the table. Stone is a very poor insulator and you can develop a hot spot in the Egg that would transfer heat through the Egg to the stone to the wood. This is especially dangerous during a long cook. Always raise your Egg half an inch or so and let plenty of air get between the bottom of your Egg and the next surface. Air is an infinitely better insulator for heat than stone!
  • Thanks guys. The air gap is a proven safety need.

XLBGE 
  • Hope every "Newbie" reads this thread. The Whiz example with the burn surrounded by the three feet happened to me. My dealer set it up that way....just for the hell of it I looked under the table and the burn was clear through the board. Replaced the wood and now I have a paver AND the feet.    [-O<

Just to be clear the burned up house in the pictures is mine and was not caused by anything egg related

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Air gap, air gap! Have one. In my old set up, I used 1/2" square aluminum tubing, 2 pieces 6" long under the egg. Stable when sitting on the paver. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!