Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger lump

Options
Anyone used this?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Is this the Kroger brand?

XLBGE 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I have used that kind.  It wasn't too bad, it is just pricey.  That is not the Kroger brand.  Not to sound smart @ss...but the Kroger brand has Kroger on it  :P.  The fire and flavor was fine, just no better than kroger and around me it is the same price for 3.8 less lbs. I have only purchased the F&F when they are out of Kroger.  This time of year, my Kroger only stocks a couple of bags at a time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have used that kind.  It wasn't too bad, it is just pricey.  That is not the Kroger brand.  Not to sound smart @ss...but the Kroger brand has Kroger on it  :P.  The fire and flavor was fine, just no better than kroger and around me it is the same price for 3.8 less lbs. I have only purchased the F&F when they are out of Kroger.  This time of year, my Kroger only stocks a couple of bags at a time. 

+1  I've used this stuff and it wasn't bad, just a bit pricey.  I think I remember its made by RO.  I can buy a 22# bag of GFS (made by RO) all day long for $12 or 13.  I think I bought the Kroger lump for $6 and its 8.8#.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Lol. I figured it'd say Kroger but ya never know!
    They didn't have that bag your showing. Bought two bags of this to try.

XLBGE 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    It'll burn and get you through your shortage. I bought some random stuff label grill mark a while back because it was cheap 9 for 20 pounds. It worked not great but I got a few pizzas and a 8 hour burn at 300 out of a load.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    It's marketed by a local couple here in Athens, GA. Really nice people. Check out their website. The lump is from RO, I'm pretty sure. When I inquired about buying in bulk from him, he said he only had it in the small bags...so it's outsourced from somewhere. Their planks are of good quality, and they have a good selection of woods. Check them out. They seem like a nice family, are avid Eggheads themselves, and if you're a supporter of The University of Georgia in any way, they are a local small business in Athens, which I always try to support.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I've had good results with the true Kroger (aka RO) lump charcoal.  I use it when not going low&slow-for those cooks I'm in the WGWW camp after experimenting with many other brands.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Mayberry said:

It's marketed by a local couple here in Athens, GA. Really nice people. Check out their website. The lump is from RO, I'm pretty sure. When I inquired about buying in bulk from him, he said he only had it in the small bags...so it's outsourced from somewhere. Their planks are of good quality, and they have a good selection of woods. Check them out. They seem like a nice family, are avid Eggheads themselves, and if you're a supporter of The University of Georgia in any way, they are a local small business in Athens, which I always try to support.

Cool man

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I've had good results with the true Kroger (aka RO) lump charcoal.  I use it when not going low&slow-for those cooks I'm in the WGWW camp after experimenting with many other brands.  FWIW-

I'm order a load of WGWW when I can get to ace closses one is an hour away. I guess my Walmart will have RO sometime soon. I've never had a problem with it. Prolly cooked 50 bags and have found 2-3 odd things. Pretty good I think once you read about how charcoal is made.

Biggest thing! I'm start keeping more lump at home. Just sold some old tires that were taking up garage space. Guys coming in the morning to get them. Gonna have a lump corner now!

XLBGE