Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st spatchcock chicken on my new LBGE

Tested my new $20 raised setup last night with my 1st spatchcock chicken last night.  Not bad for last minute.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Good looking egg and great looking bird. Throw some firebricks under the grates and on top of the fire ring to get the top tier even higher in the dome and you will achieve even bettter results. Thanks for posting!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    Do what @Chubbs said or 1 1/2 longer bolts.  As you can see cooking it where you have it is fine, the only thing being a little higher might save your butt sometime not watching as close as you should. I like height (and then sometimes that don't help)....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Tested my new $20 raised setup last night with my 1st spatchcock chicken last night.  Not bad for last minute.

On second look, maybe my residual Woodford from last night has my eyes jacked up, but I think you did the spatchcock backwards.... did you cut the breast side? Looks like the backbone is facing up??
    Need to take backbone out and put that side on the grate.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I realized that as soon as I cut it but decided to still go with it.  It still turned out good.  :)
  • Mickey
    Good eye Chubbs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I realized that as soon as I cut it but decided to still go with it.  It still turned out good.  :)
    The back is the best part anyway!   :P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Mickey
    I always hit the gizzard and the neck with rub and it cooks in about 25 mins. Good cooks food...

The back is the best part anyway!   :P
    My dog thinks so - she gets the broth and the "pickin's" from the boiled back chunks, if we don't use the broth.

Good looking bird @BigDHornFan - even if it is upside down.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!