Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Postictal Pit Beef

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum

Strolling through Schnucks in the condiment isle on a horseradish hunt.  A guy about my age next bay over and just in the peripheral, slides down leaned against the shelves, having a tonic clonic seizure.  Help guide him to the floor and turn him on his side.  Yell to the employee to call 911.  Seizure lasted 2 minutes.  By this time, about every employee is swarmed around us.  Tactfully instruct everyone to step back.  Guy is groggy, a little confused, but stable.  Quick report a short time later to the paramedic and as I walk through the group of associates back to my cart, "Can I please be directed to the horseradish?"  Found out I was in the wrong aisle and it is refrigerated.  lol  

Big thanks to Griffin, Eggcelsior and others who replied to the recent pit beef threads.  Love Raichlen, but cringe whenever I see paprika in a rub.  Used a beef rub I made some time back for a chuck roast cook.  Decided to go with Eggcelsior's 1C horseradish recommendation.  For a QC touch omitted the dry mustard, added 1T of Boetje's stone ground mustard for some extra kick.  Bottom round was on sale for $2.99/lb.  Studded with some garlic.

Egged raised direct starting out at 260, climbing up to 320 until 113.  Then went wide open with the egg at the end.  Rye, white onions, tiger sauce.....so good.  

Finally finessed the Hobart and got her purring like a kitten, no guard rub.  Washers didn't work, so I had to resort to the old hammer, punch, and bench vise.  Sharpening guy removed the nicks and created a nice new edge.  Had to take it a step further manually sharpening with the 3K, 5K, and 10K Chosera wetstones....scary sharp.  Took about an hour.  Pulled the MSDS for Hobart Slicer Oil and found it's compositon to be mineral oil.  Similar to the "butcher block oil" marketing.  Glides almost effortlessly with the touch of a finger. 

In all seriousness, seizures appear frightening.  Here are a few basic tips to help if you witness one in public.  It helped me today.

1.  Stay calm.

2.  Remove person from any potential harm, place on their side and maintain airway.

3.  Get help, have someone call 911.

4.  Monitor breathing, circulation.  Do not put anything in the mouth.  Ride the seizure out, monitor.

5.  Reorient as seizure subsides and person regains consciousness.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great job aiding that guy... Good for you and him that you were there and stayed level headed.

The beef looks great!
  • Focker
    edited February 2013

Thanks hapster.  Seizures do appear frightening.  There are probably more DON'T DOs to handle one. 

Had a young lady on our unit a couple of weeks ago seize for two hours straight.....a stress induced pseudoseizure.  Didn't know stress could cause one, let alone 2 hours.

So many flavors with the pit beef.  Hickory smoke, garlic, horseradish, onion, rye.  A cheap cut(bottom round) to boot, when caught on sale.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Awesome cook. I know what you mean about seizures. Working in neurotrauma, I saw too many. Thanks for being a nurse!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Your higher power put you in the wrong aisle for just that purpose! You did good I don't think I have that sort of collective reaction in me. Oh by the way dinner looks divine.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Focker

Float to Neuro often, we are on the same floor with the same mgr.

Thanks to you as well man. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Your higher power put you in the wrong aisle for just that purpose! You did good I don't think I have that sort of collective reaction in me. Oh by the way dinner looks divine.

You'd be surprised what you can do when your sympathetic nervous system kicks in!

Thanks for the kind words.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I have slicer envy...
  • Oh...really nice cook too!
  • Focker
    edited February 2013
    I have slicer envy...

Patience my friend....patience. ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Honestly hadn't been thinking about it too much lately so patience was easy...now I have to start looking again. Thanks. :-w
  • Focker

Glad to help!   >:)

Have yet to travel down this road, but a slicer will make things much easier in regards to the craft of charcuterie.  Doubt you need additional encouragement.  :D

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great advice... For both seizure management and the beef.

Re: keeping your wits about you, to paraphrase "House of God" : in a code, the first pulse you check should be your own.

Strong work.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • That sandwich looks great, and a nice Newcastle to wash it down.
    Good job on helping that guy, You Da Man!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Nice job boss. We've got quite a few nurse/medical ppl on the forum.

Beef looks amazing. What kind of slicer is that?
    This might be a dumb question, but you guys with a slicer get a lot of use out of it?

XLBGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks amazing!  Nice job, Focker!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Way to rock it, both in the store and the cook.

I have slicer envy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That beef looks awesome @Focker ... Me. Want. Now. =P~
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Focker

Thanks everyone.

@MrCookingNurse,

There are no dumb questions.

It is a 1970s Hobart #512 slicer pulled out of a school cafeteria.  Pit Beef was the first official run after cleaning and fixing it up.  I will try to plan multiple items to slice when put in use.  Last night I also sliced "premium" pepperoni logs for pizzas.  Took about 10-15 min to clean.  Can't wait to make jerky.   

It's a nice to have kitchen appliance, not need to have.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:

Thanks everyone.

@MrCookingNurse,

There are no dumb questions.

It is a 1970s Hobart #512 slicer pulled out of a school cafeteria.  Pit Beef was the first official run after cleaning and fixing it up.  I will try to plan multiple items to slice when put in use.  Last night I also sliced "premium" pepperoni logs for pizzas.  Took about 10-15 min to clean.  Can't wait to make jerky.   

It's a nice to have kitchen appliance, not need to have.

Thanks man. Definety somethig I don't need now but could see endless possibilities if started making a lot of meats. Add it the list... The initial purchase of the egg was by far just the tip of the ice berg!!

XLBGE 
  • I don't know what seizures look like but I know what they feel like or at least going into and coming out of one.  Fortunately I am 20 years seizure free this May! 

I used to work for a retail grocery chain a long time ago.  Those Hobarts are the real deal!  I've been keeping my  eye out for one used.  Ironically, I think it was pit beef that I was slicing when my crappy Waring Pro slicer died on me.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nice job Focker!  The pics of your sammies look so good they are making me hungry.  Can hunger induce a seizure????

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    edited February 2013
    I don't know what seizures look like but I know what they feel like or at least going into and coming out of one.  Fortunately I am 20 years seizure free this May! 

I used to work for a retail grocery chain a long time ago.  Those Hobarts are the real deal!  I've been keeping my  eye out for one used.  Ironically, I think it was pit beef that I was slicing when my crappy Waring Pro slicer died on me.

20 years, that is awesome!  Son had febrile seizures as a toddler.  His temp would spike so fast, from normal to 104 in less than an hour.  Fortunately, he grew out of them...it's been 3 years.    

These old slicers pop up on craigslist from time-to-time.  Parts are available and they are easy to maintain.  Like a chainsaw, it is a humbling experience running it.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Nice job Focker!  The pics of your sammies look so good they are making me hungry.  Can hunger induce a seizure????

Hunger and desire to egg could increase stress beyond manageable levels to induce a pseudoseizure.  :)) (joking)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I'm equally impressed with your level headedness and your cooking skills.  I hope if the situation ever arises that I can be that calm.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014