Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giving it a shot

After all the talk about Wick Good, I've decided to give it a shot.  Ordered it this week from Ace and am looking forward to trying it.  I still have half a bag to RO to go through so I have to wait a few day, but I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Wish my local Ace carried it. All they carry for lump is Cowboy. Wonder if they would order it in? I might have to stop and ask.
    XL BGE
  • I am a convert....just got thru with my first bag. a little harder to light but worth it. much less smoke, less spark, burns hot and uses less coal for your cooks. also, much less smoke taste on the food. you just might like it.
    Brandon, MS
  • SPRIGS said:
    Wish my local Ace carried it. All they carry for lump is Cowboy. Wonder if they would order it in? I might have to stop and ask.
    Free delivery to your local ACE
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Fortunately my local Ace is owned by my cousins. They get a skid of WGWW in every Tuesday; apparently there is enough demand for it year round in this area which surprised me, they have their outdoor cooking section stocked year round with lump and smoke woods as well as accessories for the non Eggers.

I have 2 bags of RO that I'm saving just in case I run out in a pinch.

Once I tried WGWW; its my standard go to lump.
  • How much does that run for the WGWW hap?

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    At my local Ace it's like $20 and some change for the bag. No shipping for me and they're just 10 minutes away...
  • Reminds me I need to run by Ace and get a couple of bags!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I need to try it too. I have been so happy with Nature Glo I haven't looked back.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Is Ace the only place to get it.  There is only one Ace anywhere near me and the two times I have been in the store they were so disrespectful that they will not get any of my hard earned $$.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited February 2013
    Check out the Wicked Good web site.  They list various distributors around the country.  There may be one near you-that's how I initially found a near local supplier.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    lousubcap said:
    Check out the Wicked Good web site.  They list various distributors around the country.  There may be one near you-that's how I initially found a near local supplier.

Anyone ever ordered it online? $40 for (3) 22lb bags seems great.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Chubbs said:

lousubcap said:

Anyone ever ordered it online? $40 for (3) 22lb bags seems great. </blockquote
    I ordered mine online from the ace website. They shipped to the store for free. It was $21 per bag.

• Chubbs
    On Wicked Good website, I am seeing (3) 22lb bags for $41. Not sure what shipping would be though. FWIW
  • Shipping to SW Virginia was $35.  Guess next time I'm out of town I could look for some

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Checked WG web site and to get it to MI was almost $31. $70 for 3 bags.Can get it @ Ace for $20 a bag . No shipping costs

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I get 3 bags at a time FedEx to my house in NC for $22/bag all in. Directly from Wicked Good.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Shipping for the 3 bags to Mississippi was 48$. No go here

XLBGE 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482

Just stopped at my local Ace.  They had never heard of it before but asked if I had tried Cowboy as they "we sell alot of it and everyone loves it".    I told them my personal thoughts and observations about Cowboy and said I wouldn't be buying anymore.  Asked them to look the Wicked Good up on the computer and they found it at 19.99 per 22 lb bag.  I odered 4 bags.  They should be here Thursday. 

When I was getting ready to leave, one of the gals says to the other one helping me "maybe we should order a few extra bags of the Wicked Good".  Hopefully they will start carrying it but with only a 3-4 day wait after ordering, even if they don't, I know where I willl be getting my charcoal at from now on.

I had previoulsy used a bag of Wicked Good (3 -4 years ago) and was very impressed.  Picked it up at a place about 120 miles from where I live and never got back there.  Appreciate the information about my local Ace as I never thought I would find anyone locally that carried it.  Thanks again! 

XL BGE
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Shipping to FL $45. I guess I'll pay my $20/bag at Ace.
    Dunedin, FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Shipping cost are a huge factor in the price of the lump, or anything heavy for that matter. The retailers have to pay it also, that's the biggest reason for the price gap you see between the big boxes and other dealers. The real big stores buy whole semi loads and distribute on regularly scheduled loads from their warehouse. Also the closer you are to the source, the cheaper it will be for you.