Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice for first brisket

Options
Planning first brisket on BGE this Saturday. Was traveling, so ask SWMBO to get make store run: best she could find was a 7 lb Choice flat. I injected with beef broth, coated with mustard base and Dizzy Dust, salt and pepper, covered and will leave in refrigerator until time to start cooking. Any advice or tips?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have had pretty consistent results cooking just flats at around 300 until the thickest portion hits approximately 160-165. Then I foil with a little stock and start checking for tenderness at 185-190. When the probe goes in like butter, she's done. My low and slow packers are a different story! Ha. Good luck and let us know how she turns out.
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use a similar method that @SPRIGS suggested only difference is I start at 225° and inject when I pull it off to foil it, then bump up the temp for the rest.

Here is my post: Flat out Tasty 

I might be trying a brisket on my small soon, that should be fun.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I have found 250-300 high in the dome for these flats.  I don't foil it, just let it go and pull off at 190-200, then rest in a cooler for 2+ hours wrapped in foil prior to serving.  Does great every time for me.  I don't inject only because I am too lazy....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • jimreed777
    Options
    I will be tuning into this one - I got my first 10 lb choice packer this week. She is so pretty looking every time I open up the fridge.

I was settled on the Travis method...but I plan on putting it in Saturday morning early.

I am open to reading more insight here
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @jimreed777 I haven't done the travis method and I will be watching how this one gets done as well. There are many ways to smoke a brisket and I'm fully content on mine which I posted above, however, with 325,800+ views since march of last year the travis method obviously works Brisket..... How I do it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foil, Travis method, etc - it's all adding a braising (partial or full) where water in the form of steam is doing much of the cooking.  The secret to that is you cook it faster (better heat transfer by condensing steam than hot air).  Anyway, you sacrifice some bark - but you can always make burnt ends.  I think it's a good trade off - you're eating the meat mostly, for Pete's sake.    To each his own. 

I must admit, I like to cut through some buttery brisket and see space between some of the muscle fibers rather than a dense cross-cut.  I think a flat benefits from a little of what Texan's call "cheating".  I call it, the ends justify the means.  Damn the purity if beans make mah chili taste better.