Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware: Ash buildup

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I cook on my large about once a week (my mini sees action on weeknights).  I took the large apart today for the first time since buying a High-Que in October. I was amazed (and a little appalled) about how much ash had collected behind the firebox. I didn't notice any problems in getting to temperature, but still. ...
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I take it apart about once a year and clean it out.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hic said:
    I take it apart about once a year and clean it out.

+1 but about every 6 months
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I take mine apart before every low and slow and clean it out...usually every few months. But, I cook on my Egg 4-5 nights a week.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I cook about 4 or 5 nights a week also and take mine apart when ever I am going to do an over night smoke which is usually about every couple months.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • If you use a shop vac to suck out ash normally, you really don't get that much ash behind the firebox. Once every few months for me and it is not that much ash.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• As long as the air holes in the fire box are clear the ash will not, IMHO cause a problem. Like the suggestions noted above, clean it out when it makes sense to. 

I use my venturi spider brush from my gasser to clean out the holes. Also, use your ash rake to clean the ash from between the fire box and the base when you rake out the ash pit. I find I can get almost half way around the fire box on either side. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    This is much less of an issue with the XL.  I pulled my firebox last night and there was hardly any build up from the last 6 months of cooks and I grill every night.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mayberry said:

I take mine apart before every low and slow and clean it out...usually every few months. But, I cook on my Egg 4-5 nights a week.

What he said. But I also snake a shop vac around in there when in feeling lazy. It'll definitely sneak up on you.

@mickey. I just couldn't stay away. Saw Ayayron was banned >:)

XLBGE 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    As long as the air holes in the fire box are clear the ash will not, IMHO cause a problem. Like the suggestions noted above, clean it out when it makes sense to. 

I use my venturi spider brush from my gasser to clean out the holes. Also, use your ash rake to clean the ash from between the fire box and the base when you rake out the ash pit. I find I can get almost half way around the fire box on either side. 
    I agree 100%
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I quit using my high que because I seemed to be using a lot more charcoal.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I quit using my high que because I seemed to be using a lot more charcoal.
    I bought a fan controller because I had gadget lust but in reality it did not make the process any better or worse.  I am happy with the natural draft and it is so easy to control that there really is no need for an electronic gadget.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think I took the firebox out once to clean behind it.  I have a dedicated ash vacuum with a narrow tip that gets partially behind the firebox through the vent hole.  I always hit that and the vent holes in the firebox, but I don't take it out - more I leave it alone, the less likely it'll break.
    I got a Lint Lizzard for the dryer that I am going to try out on the egg. Last time I took the egg apart I nearly drop it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I've been using my ash tool and a shop vac.. Pull the ash toward the vent and suck it up.  Works pretty well.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I use my ash tool every now and then for a "thorough" cleaning and take out the fire box about every six months or so.  Like others, if I plan a really long cook, I will make sure everything is functioning well.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)