Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump dust?

Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting tired of breathing in loads of dust from my lump. What's are some of the methods people use to control the amount of dust? After a cook, when I blow my nose, you'd think I work in a coal mine. :)
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I hold my breath and pour in the lump, put the bag down and haul ass away from the cloud of dust before breathing again.  :D I come back after the dust settles (5 minutes or so) and light.
    Haha Nola, sounds a lot like my method. I built a small little temporary shed to take me out of the Canadian winter elements and now my Egg itself has a nice black coating.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice - that's dedication! 

It kinda reminds me of how I envision they cleaned up the Chernobyl reactor - guy runs in with a shovel holding his breath, grabs some waste and hauls ass out the door.
    I get tired of it..n especially at night.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's hard to control the dust, so I'd look to mitigate it's inhalation by getting a dry wall mask.
  • Boyd
    Boyd Posts: 7
    Do you find the dust better or worse depending on the brand? We use Royal Oak and have very little dust.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Boyd Royal Oak and BGE is the same in different bags. I find the BGE/RO both to have more than Ozark Oak (IMO).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I find RO to have more than Nature Glo. That is the best lump I have tried. Great review on Naked Whiz site too if I remember correctly. Got a bag of B&B to try too. Havent opened it yet.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Bill Clinton method works best, don't inhale.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Bill Clinton method works best, don't inhale.

And keep the dust away from blue dresses.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I use a cheap allergy mask if I'm dumping. Starts out white ends up black
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Greeno55
    I generally use BGE lump as its the most readily available in my city. I have found the following RO at the Canadian Lowes stores, but couldn't even find this particular bag on their website. Anyone have any experience with it? I find it particularly dusty, and throws off a lot of sparks. But it is half of the price of BGE.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I have 2 rubbermaids. One for small lump and the other for medium and large lump.

When opening a new bag I dump into the small lump box without breathing...move away and let settle. Then I take out all medium and large prices and move them each to their own side of box 2.

The egg is always loaded by hand. Large then medium then small.

Guarantees a great fire and only deal with dust once per bag of lump.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Usually have enough of a breeze that it is not an issue, however, if it is still I take a deep breath, dump, set down the bag and run away, run away from the holy lump dust of Antioch. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I also have a lot of dust. My table is now coated with it. I am almost tempted to load the coals by hand to keep it from getting on everything. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Greeno55
    I'm really leaning towards more hand loading. I've got a couple plastic containers with lids I've been using, but have been dumping in there, then dumping from the container. I like the idea of separating large/medium from the small and loading manually. Will use the Bill Clinton method as well.
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Someone mentioned using a 5 Gal. Pail and cutting out the bottom replacing it with expanded metal, and stacking onto another pail, allowing the fine dust and pieces to fall down.
    Hope this helps.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Greeno55 said:
    I'm getting tired of breathing in loads of dust from my lump. What's are some of the methods people use to control the amount of dust? After a cook, when I blow my nose, you'd think I work in a coal mine. :)
    Not much of an outdoorsman are you Greeno?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Greeno55 said:
    Haha Nola, sounds a lot like my method. I built a small little temporary shed to take me out of the Canadian winter elements and now my Egg itself has a nice black coating.
    At first I thought this was from Australia.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I do what Chubbs does. I find that when lighting with a weed burner, the dust really pops and sparks fly everywhere.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I use Lump Charcoal in my offset smoker. I've never really noticed the dust. Of course I'm usually inside having a Snort of Woodford Reserve while my main man dumps the lump. In fact here is a photo I shot of him loading my lump on my last cook...
  • The company I work for does controls upgrades in coal fired power plants.....the little bit of dust from a bag of lump is nothing.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Griffin said:
    I do what Chubbs does. I find that when lighting with a weed burner, the dust really pops and sparks fly everywhere.
    That's how I light it as well.  Can be kind of a show.  Mrs. 500 hates that I use it, but it sure lights quickly.  I follow with a few cranks from the Air Grill, and it's up to temp in no time.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Greeno55 said:
    I generally use BGE lump as its the most readily available in my city. I have found the following RO at the Canadian Lowes stores, but couldn't even find this particular bag on their website. Anyone have any experience with it? I find it particularly dusty, and throws off a lot of sparks. But it is half of the price of BGE.
    I use that stuff too, it is dusty and sparky if you leave the lid open for any length of time, its 14.99 at Canadian Tire in the winter months and 12.99 in the summer.

Hold my breath, pour put the bag down and run like the clappers, if I don't pass out first.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Wear a dust mask. Inhalation of the dust may cause mesothelioma
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wear a dust mask. Inhalation of the dust may cause mesothelioma
    Probably not mesothelioma; there is no asbestos in charcoal.

Pneumoconiosis? Maybe with persistent, long-term exposure.
  • Wow excellent Scrabble word :)