Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl Butt

Options
Just put a 9# butt on for an overnight at around 250-275 dome in preparation for the game tomorrow.  Had a couple firsts tonight also, so I am ready to see how it turns out.  Using Wicked Good for the first time and I injected the butt for the first time with some creole butter.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.  Got good tunes going, cold beer flowing, and the girlfriend is out of town until tomorrow (so it's a good night). 

One question, though.  When injecting a butt, do I need to cook to a greater IT or just until it reaches 195-200?  I saw on a previous thread where someone said they cook to 210 IT when injecting.  Thanks for the help, cheers!!!
Hunter - LBGE
Oxford, MS

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Good Luck!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    What I do is start checking it at 190° and see how easy the thermometer slides in and out if it is tough going in then check it again at 195° if still tough check at 5° intervals until it reaches 210° then take it off, some are ready at 190° and one right next to it could it all the way to 210°. If you have any leftovers here is a what I do.  Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next These were both 8# butts and one was pulled at 189° the other at 195°

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SouthernSmoke
    Options
    @Solson005 Thanks for the help!!  Those carnitas look damn good.  I was in Birmingham, AL a few weeks ago and went to eat at a Mexican restaurant that smoked all of their meats. Imagine Mexican food with nothing but smoked meats. They had brisket tacos that were unbelievable.  Served with pico de gallo and a tad bit of sour cream.  Amazing.  You ever tried them? The place is called Little Donkey for anyone that is ever down that way.
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks! I have only had brisket tacos from a chain place like On the Boarder or something like that, nothing to brag about. But I will be sure to save some for leftovers and give it a try next time I make one on the egg. Smoked meat mexican place.. Count me in! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.