Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jim Lahey No Knead Pizza Dough questions.

Options
frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying to make pizza dough with not much success. I wanted to try this recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html I bought 00 flour from Williams Sonoma. One bags weighs 453 grams and the other weighs 462 grams. I only wanted to use one bag at a time. Do I need to adjust the other ingredients due to the smaller amount of flour? Just add regular flour to make up the difference? I like cooking. A little of this. A pinch of that. I have not figured out baking. All that exact measuring stinks!

Comments

• frankie482
    Options
    I'm sending this from my Ipad. How do you delete a pic from the post? Also the layout of the post got all screwed up.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just add regular to make up the difference. Baking is an unforgiving science most of the time. I can't help you with the iPad issue, but I click on the gear symbol on the top right and edit the post. Then hover over the attached pictures and they should say "insert" or "delete image". Click delete.
  • frankie482
    Options
    Thanks. Never tried 00 flour before. This was pricey and didn't want to screw it up.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Not sure about 00 flour I just tend to use AP or bread flour for my bread and pizza crusts.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

I weigh out all my ingredients when making bread, pizza, etc so my suggestion is to add a scale to your kitchen arsenal :)

As for making adjustments due to being 9g off on the weight of the flour, I personally wouldn't adjust anything else, one of the batches will just have a slightly lower hydration than the other.

And I'm no expert by any means, but if you can't cook the 00 Flour at high temps, you really won't get expected results by using this type of flour.  It's mainly used for Neo type pizzas fired in ovens with deck and dome temps around the 900 degree mark and back in 90 seconds.

Mark

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would probably try to work out the kinks with regular flour before trying 00 flour.

I have used Alton Brown's pizza dough recipe with reasonable success. When rolling out the dough, use flour liberally to dust as you roll it out and it will eventually stop shrinking back.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    @caliking if you find that it is shrinking back just give it a rest for a minute or so and the dough will have relaxed and roll out to your desired size easily and without tearing holes in dough.  Actually I don't roll the dough at all anymore, I flatten it by pressing down with my hand and then picking it up and stretching it to the desired size.

Gerhard
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I use 00 flour and used it for my 1st pizza cook with success. Get your egg hot as this flour likes heat, outside of that, it's just flour...expensive flour. It does produce fabulous pizza results so its worth the price tag IMO.

I weigh all my ingredients and use this recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Working the dough in a mixer, food processor or good old elbow grease is a must in my opinion. I've never seen a no knead recipe that works - however, I've never tried the one referenced. 
    Measuring by weight is a good idea to obtain consistent results. However, once you get the hang of it, a pinch of this and a tad more of that works just fine as you look at and feel the dough. To make dough for one 13 inch pie, I use a KA stand mixer with a no oil recipe. 3/4 cup of water, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar. Mix with the K paddle for 1 or 2 minutes. Add 1 cup flour and mix for 5 minutes. Change to the bread hook. Knead while adding 1/4 cup flour at a time. Let it go for 10 minutes. I sometimes dribble <1 tsp oil down the side of the bowl to help free it up. 
    Turn to an oiled bowl and let rise, maybe 1-2 hours. This dough will be quite moist, likes being cooked in the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!