Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs & Butt cook

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cut & cooked some St. Louis spares and a small pork butt in the Large Egg today. Butt was on a CI grid over a spider, stone, and drip pan. Put my PS Woo2 in and then the stock SS grid on for cooking the ribs over the butt. Ribs before sauce: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos After sauced (with Bart's Blazin Q sauce): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Sliced: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos And the butt: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Ribs look awesome! What rub and sauce did you use?
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Looks great! Do you prefer St. Louis over BB?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• R2Egg2Q
    Cullum said:
    Ribs look awesome! What rub and sauce did you use?

Thanks!
    The rub was a light coat of Simply Marvelous Season All followed by a light coat of their Spicy Apple rub. Here's a past thread on their rubs: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1213177/#Comment_1213177
    The sauce is from a local California BBQ sauce vendor, caterer, competitor called Bart's Blazin' Q BBQ sauce. It won best sauce at a big BBQ competition in Vegas last year. Not sure how far their product is distributed but I think they might ship sauce if you contact them. Here's a link to their site: http://bartsblazinq.com/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    r270ba said:
    Looks great! Do you prefer St. Louis over BB?

I'm happy to eat either! I like the price of spares better and like having rib tips most of the time. Not crazy about "extra meaty" bbs but like the regular bbs. :)

Bay Area, CA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sending this one back to the front page. This thread did not get the respect it deserves!! Those are some unbelievable looking ribs! I have rib duty for the Super Bowl and thinking about going St Louis style. Well done :-c
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Those are awesome looking ribs. I have to know, how do you get the separation in the meat to look like that? To me, that is a sign of a great rib!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Those look amazing!

XLBGE 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    The ribs do look incredibly delicious. How long did you cook them?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Mmmm......smoked pig meat.  =P~
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Looks amazingly delicious! What temp and how long? The first pic looked sauced, the color was perfect.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Thanks for bumping this thread back up...looking at doing St. Louis spares for the SB.  Have only done BBs so far.  May have to turbo them, which will also be a first.  Great looking cook.  Until I got a BGE, I never considered pictures of meat "beautiful", but those are beautiful ribs.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited January 2013
    Argh, I hate this "waiting for approval" bug or policy that has been implemented. I just spent the time to type replies and thanks to many of you only to have it nabbed.

So here's the simplified answer to most of the questions: Ribs cooked in the 270-285 range for 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 hrs when they passed the bend test. Spritzed with apple juice every 30-45 mins after the 1st 2 hrs passed uninterrupted. As for the meat separation, I get that sometimes and not really sure why :-?? .

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    R2Egg2Q  I got frustrated with that for the first time today.  I posted a few tests and found if you post a URL, it'll do that.  Take out the URL and it's fine.  I had a long, wordy (as usual) diatribe typed up and had a resource link.  Got the same "waiting for approval" message and it vaporized.  It was the URL.  It was a sushi meat company.
    edited January 2013
    R2Egg2Q  I got frustrated with that for the first time today.  I posted a few tests and found if you post a URL, it'll do that.  Take out the URL and it's fine.  I had a long, wordy (as usual) diatribe typed up and had a resource link.  Got the same "waiting for approval" message and it vaporized.  It was the URL.  It was a sushi meat company.

@nolaegghead - I'd had that happen with a post with links to Eggfest sites but tonight all I did was quote four comments. If quotes are blocked then they should remove that functionality.
    Edit-of course now I can quote you. #-o

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I must agree...those ribs look just perfect.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Great looking cook!  I have yet to attempt the dual ribs/butt cook with my AR combo, but the Super Bowl sounds like a perfect time to try it.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!