Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Absurd!

Options
So I egged some chicken tenders tonight. Half were seasoned with tsunami spin and half were seasoned with plowboys yard bird. The wife and mom complained that both seasonings were too spicy but I loved em both. Any suggestions on a sweetish-neutral rub for chickens. I have tried raging river and was relatively underwhelmed but the family may like it. Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Pretty sure the women will like ragging river. A little bland to me

XLBGE 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Try Memphis BBQ Company's general purpose rub.  It's in this recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/baby-back-ribs-recipe/index.html

I know it's not the exact recipe Melissa Cookston uses in competition when she is kicking everyone's butts and winning world championships, but it has more of a sweet than heat profile.  I like it for a general purpose rub.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    John Henry's Pecan Rub.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Okay. I was waiting for someone to recommend a John Henry rub as that is what my local guy has a lot of.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Try the Greek rub from John Henry. We use it constantly on chicken.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Or just make up a sweet for chicken rub, there are thousands of 'em out there - or keep buying the overpriced stuff we all fill our spice cabinets with...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    John Henry has a bourbon rub that is fantastic on chicken and the Texas pig rub is a good general purpose rub.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Dizzy Gourmet Whirlybird
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The JH Pecan rub is very good. But you can make your own: Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• erniemcclain
    Options

I really like the BGE Garlic/Black Pepper.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• rholt
    Options
    Hmm. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to make the coffee rub. Might find a good general rub first then branch out once I have mastered the meats with it.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Cluck and Squeal is good on chicken.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    tsunami spin isnt all that spicy as in heat at all. i would cook it again, only make half the batch swamp venom, then ask if the tsunami is too spicey
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Pretty sure the women will like ragging river. 
    Freudian typo?   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Try Cluck and Squeal.  Nice flavor profile, no heat (i add Texas Select Rattlesnake Dust for heat).  C&S is made by a fellow egger from Canada.  Email either Hornhonk or me for more info, if interested.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    The Pecan Rub is a light tasting, somewhat sweet rub yet not overly sweet. I also like John Henry's Lemon Pepper with Garlic rub. There's no heat there, just a lot of flavor.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    add some turbinado sugar and use less of the rubs with heat.  turbinado has a better tolerance for higher grilling temps than table sugar.  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • rholt
    Options
    tjv said:

add some turbinado sugar and use less of the rubs with heat.  turbinado has a better tolerance for higher grilling temps than table sugar.  

That is an idea as I did layer it on pretty thick. Thanks for all the great responses.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

juJu

Is that from the restaurant by that name?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    henapple said:
    juJu Is that from the restaurant by that name?
    I don't know about the restaurant but the company is out of Canada and a fellow egghead. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Traeger Sweet Rub is well liked by my distaff family members.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I always keep it simple and homemade for chicken.Equal parts bay leaf,corriander and fennel seed ground in a coffee grinder.Maybe a little less bay than the other two as it is a bit stonger.
    Saw this on food network years ago and it great and cheap for all chicken,im having it on chicken breast tonight!

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Butcher BBQ honey rub is mild as well. Dizzy Pig red eye express is also a coffe based rub. John Henry has several good ones without a lot of bite.