Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick thermometer

What is the preferred maverick thermometer?

I received an email this morning with some interesting sales.

Et73 for $31
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DIU49/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_214920_27902440_pe_vfe_dt2

Thanks for the help eggspert.

Comments

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    This is the one I own. I have used a lot with my Chargriller w/side smoker box. I have never had a issue with it. This model has a higher temp. Capacity for the probes and also longer range. I would recommend this one just because it is the newer and has better upgraded features than the one you mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IMA718/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1359026795&sr=8-1
  • This is the one I own. I have used a lot with my Chargriller w/side smoker box. I have never had a issue with it. This model has a higher temp. Capacity for the probes and also longer range. I would recommend this one just because it is the newer and has better upgraded features than the one you mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IMA718/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1359026795&sr=8-1
    ET-732 for the above reasons.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited January 2013
    I have had the ET732 for a little over a year. No problems with it so far.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Thank you all for the help!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The 73 is the original version of the 732 I think and has most of the same features. The biggest difference is the transmitter to remote distance, 100 feet for the 73, 300 feet for the 732. As noted above the temp capacity is also more with the 732. 
    I do not use my Maverick when grid temps are expected to be over 450, I rely on the dome thermo. IMHO using the MAv for high heat cooks will result in probe failure or significantly shortening the probe life. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I actually just bought that exact thermometer last week, did my first cook on it last Saturday.

Worked fine, had a successful cook. No range issues, although the smoker temp always read hotter than the BGE thermometer.

At first, I ran the probe through the daisy wheel so it would be close to the BGE probe on the inside. It always ran about 50 degrees hotter. I figured that the cast iron may have been throwing the reading off.

So I put it directly on the grill between the two butts. It was closer but still was about 20 degrees off. I think the bad reading is more due to operator error, so I need to play with it some more.

I don't care for the on/off switch being behind the battery cover, but other than that I'm happy with it.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81

nashbama -

From what I have read on this site it sounds like the Mav is a lot more reliable than the BGE thermometer. Maybe that is the problem.

Chester County, PA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    nashbama said:
    I actually just bought that exact thermometer last week, did my first cook on it last Saturday.

Worked fine, had a successful cook. No range issues, although the smoker temp always read hotter than the BGE thermometer.

At first, I ran the probe through the daisy wheel so it would be close to the BGE probe on the inside. It always ran about 50 degrees hotter. I figured that the cast iron may have been throwing the reading off.

So I put it directly on the grill between the two butts. It was closer but still was about 20 degrees off. I think the bad reading is more due to operator error, so I need to play with it some more.

I don't care for the on/off switch being behind the battery cover, but other than that I'm happy with it.
    Calibrate your dome thermometer. Remove it and stick in boiling water to see if it registers 212. I bet it will be roughly 50 degrees off. Mine was 35 off last time I calibrated.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Excellent idea, thanks very much! I'll do that before my next cook.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @nashbama - the grid temp will be hotter than the dome, it is closer to the heat. 
    On a low and slow, the grid may be 30-40 higher than dome to start, but after a few hours they will drift closer together. 

Don't put the Mav probe down the DFMT, put it on the grid and run the cable out thru the dome/base gasket. It will not hurt the gasket. Wrap the probe cable junction with foil, keeps the moisture out. 

Make sure the Mav grid probe is positioned over a setter leg so it has a shield from direct burning lump. Also make sure it is not in contact with food. 
    Trust it it is much more accurate than the dome thermo.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cool, mine just came in the mail today. Haven't had my first cook yet but I know the mav will come in handy soon.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    732 and buy some spare probes :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    I've owned an ET-73 since 2005. In August, when I got my new BGE, I also purchased the new Maverick ET-732. As others have mentioned you definitely want to get the ET-732 for the longer-range and the higher temperature probes. There are some additional differences and improvements on the ET 732. 

For those of you who are interested, I wrote a blog entry a couple months ago describing the differences between the two and the improvements made on the ET-732. Here is the link: 

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mine came today, thus completing the first round of Newbie Eggcessories as recommended by the members of this Forum:

1.  Adjustable Rig
    2.  Thermapen
    3.  Mav ET-732

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE