Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome thermo

Options
Hey everyone, after my last cook I shut everything down and went about my business. When I went to put my cover on a few hours later I noticed the thermometer is pinned all the way to the right. I know for a fact it didn't get over 400 when I used it and it was at that temp when I removed the food. Anyone have any ideas why this could happen?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Unless you got buzzed up cooking and forgot to shut the egg down I can't help you. Was the ceramic damper / lid on the top and bottom vent closed? If so, remove the thermometer and test it in a pot of boiling water to see how close it is to 212 degrees.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
      Hey Chubbs, yea damper up top and bottom closed.  Just more or less curious as why it might have happened because I checked it a little while after closing everything and it was in the 200
    range.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2013
    Options

Test it in boiling water to see if you have free movement on the dial.

Adjust to 212 if it is off.

If for some reason it sticks and doesn't move freely, time for a new one.

Not sure what happened though.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• calracefan
    Options
    What's the ambient temp , mine wraps pretty far counter clock wise when its cold outside.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Options

What's the ambient temp , mine wraps pretty far counter clock wise when its cold outside.

Good point. Although if it is 400 degrees where he lives, not only was Al Gore right, but he doesn't need an egg to cook 8-}
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think he is referring to cold not hot, my needle retreats to the 700º region as well.

Gerhard
  • calracefan
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I think he is referring to cold not hot, my needle retreats to the 700º region as well.

Gerhard
    Correct ! He stated that his cook was 400 but it was now after cool ,off scale right ! As I said I believe if he is in a cold region it has actually wrapped counter clockwise.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm not in an extreme region. That is a possibility though and makes the most sense.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Furall said:
    I'm not in an extreme region. That is a possibility though and makes the most sense.
    Bet that's it. Calibrate it and recheck. I've noticed that when the outside temp dips below freezing (20-30F range), my dome thermo seems to move counter clockwise much more than it moves clock wise during 80F days. Two days ago it was 22F overnight, my dome thermo was reading the highest possible - it had wrapped counterclockwise. I don't think its response may be linear below the lowest temp setting, which is 50C on the inside scale and 200F on the outside scale. I'm sure the design is to get accurate readings in the +200F range. IMHO....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!