Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter Cooking Tips

Options
I still consider myself a Big Green Egg rookie (this is my 2nd season) and I am new to the forum. I wondered if anyone has any tips for winter weather outdoor cooking (E.g. 20- 35 degrees F).  More specifically, do any of you veterans have any rules of thumb for charcoal level or lighting techniques that help get up to temperature quicker? I've read about people using a hair dryer to blow warm air inside, but this seems a bit over the top for me personally.

Typical winter cooking for our family includes chicken breasts, steaks and burgers direct over charcoal

Appreciate any insights.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options

This is fast. Cooking in less than 10 min.... The below for Large.... I found the Mini gets cooking temp in half the time.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fletcherfam
    Options
    I personally just use the firestarters and light 3-4 on the top and leave the lid open for longer than I do in the summer. That is just my technique.
  • JohnnyBGrilling
    JohnnyBGrilling Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Options
    fletcherfam said:
    I personally just use the firestarters and light 3-4 on the top and leave the lid open for longer than I do in the summer. That is just my technique.
    I use firestarters as well, so perhaps it's patience that I need to contend with
    :-*   Thanks!
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Have used plain old firestarters through the past 5 winters and haven't really noticed a difference in time to temp vs summer starting.  If it's a breezy day, sometimes it gets to temp faster in the winter.
    Mamaroneck
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My problem with cold is low and slow not start up or high temp. It's not really a problem I guess it's just such different settings on my vents when it's cold out.

If you want a quicker start up and quicker temp up you need a torch of some kind.

XLBGE 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I don't notice much of a difference, other than it takes an additional 5 to 10 minutes to warm up the grill.  Wind, more than cold, seems to be a bigger variable in achieving stable low and slow cooks during the winter.

I use firestarters as well, so perhaps it's patience that I need to contend with

When I used firstarters, I would cut them in half or thirds.  lighting a few spots within a couple inches of each other gets a decent fire for most cooks.  If you do a lot of steaks or high temp cooks, I'd suggest a chimney or paper towel soaked in oil so that you can start good fires in multiple locations. 

Propane torch like Mickey uses is very quick.  Looks to be more fun than firestarters too. :D
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I use the TS8000 in the winter and when it is raining and a looft lighter the rest of the time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Dress Warm ;);) I don't have a cold weather technique, I just light it like I do all year around. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • gabriegger
    Options
    I use the looflighter and light a larger area in winter in mid 20 degree coolness.. Firebox full oif charcoal. I do notice a little longer in getting up to temps but with a good pair of one piece long johns, warm boots, hat and a buddle of your favourite warming agent you should be good to go! Cheers!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    I'm surprised that no one has explained exactly what the hair dryer is used for. It is not for warming the egg. The hair dryer held up against the lower vent fans the burning coals and brings the temp of the egg up extremely fast. (a few minutes). It will still take a while for the ceramic to heat up but the fire has been given a big head start. Myself, I just go out with a warm coat and a beer, Light a fire starter and walk away until I feel like checking it again. When its ready, its ready.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    I too am using Firestarters. Thought my mind seems to be having trouble dealing with the concept, I am finding there is really no difference in settings or time. the lowest I've cooked in so far is 12 degrees. This behavior is so different than my smoker my pea brain doesn't want to accept the fact it really can be this easy. 

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    No difference at all in starting or cooking between summer and winter.  If there is, it's too slight for me to notice.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Only difference I,ve noticed is the outside of the Egg stays cooler in winter. No difference in cooking. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146732/brisket-in-the-snow#latest The snow on the shelf was still there 12 hours into the cook.
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    I have noticed no change in my technique or adjustments for cooking. I have seen a change in my beverages. In the summer, it's more like wine and gin and tonics. Now I'm in a Russell Rye or Knob Creek feeling. Always have a nice cigar, weather doesn't change this!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Many ways to light an egg.  I prefer cheap and convenient.  These Rutland Fire Starters can be found dirt cheap in the fall for $.50 a carton on sale.  Check out your big box store fireplace/wood stove section.  One small square is usually enough. 

The egg shines in cold weather cooking.  A Carhartt hoody, isotoner slippers to flip on and off, and whiskey help fight the elements.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnnyBGrilling
    Options
    Appreciate the candor everyone. So glad I found out about the BGE, it's changed my enjoyment of cooking. 

Since my original post I have stocked up on bourbon and so far this has been the best way to improve my winter weather cooking experience. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Is there any risk at all in firing up the Egg in sub freezing temps?  I'm a bit concerned about starting a fire in something where the ceramic is at a sub freezing temp.  Worried about cracking, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Is there any risk at all in firing up the Egg in sub freezing temps?  I'm a bit concerned about starting a fire in something where the ceramic is at a sub freezing temp.  Worried about cracking, etc.
    Nice thing about a life time warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I cooked some pork chops last night and I was concerned about this. It was around 20 outside, so I tried to bring up the temp slowly. My questions are how cold is too cold to cook? Also, if the egg should crack because I try heating it up when it's cold, will the warranty cover it?
    YEMTrey said:

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Cracking will be fear of mine too especially with BGE Canadas reputation with customer service:(
    It's not as reliable as the customer service in the U.S unfortunatly.
    Any fellow Canucks have issues replacing cracked fireboxes etc???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I use the Harbour Freight Propane Torch and the Air Grill Inflator.  I can up to 350* in 10 minutes.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I cooked at - 20 C (-4 F) last weekend and had the LBGE up to temperature in minutes. 500 F  as soon as i dropped the lid and then I dropped it to 350 for the cook after a few more minutes with the DW wide open and lower damper. No issues. I was worried about cracking as well, but i dont think it will be a problem. -35 or so i may be a little more concerned. If it heats up this fast in the winter i cant wait till summer, however i dont see 1 or 2 minutes making a big differance. I am also still very new to the egg.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cracking will be fear of mine too especially with BGE Canadas reputation with customer service:(
    It's not as reliable as the customer service in the U.S unfortunatly.
    Any fellow Canucks have issues replacing cracked fireboxes etc???
    I've had no issues with warranty service. Cracked base, fire rings and boxes no issue!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The ceramic doesn't care if it's -40F or 80F when it gets lit.  Considering it can handle temps well over 1400F, a temp swing of 1320 vs 1440 are inconsequential.  The freezing point of water has nothing to do with heating up ceramic.  On the other hand, if you get a crack or cavity in the ceramic that does fill with water then freezes, that's where you can have problems.  But no problems on heating it up.
    edited January 2013
    Options

Cause ya stole my base..  :D

I am still waiting

Actually just called BGE Canada

Talked to a very nice rep who is trying to get me a base

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

First time I've witnessed steam come from the sides of the egg.  This was 3 above without the windchill.  With it, easily -10*F

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Andy_in_CO
    Options
    I cooked in -4F a few weekends ago. I don't notice a difference in the time to heat up. But I was cooking slow and low. I used a chimney starter full. I did notice that the dense cold air made it easy to regulate temp!
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've never had an issue with the cold. I just cook the other day in -37 C. I did a 19.5 hour pork shoulder for New Years Eve (it was -26). I let the egg heat up to about 350-400. Then I put the place setter and wood chips in. This cools it off. Then I just adjust the vents and watch the temp for about an hour to make sure it stabilizes. Once it does, I've never had an issue with outside temp changes. I do find that it holds its temp better in the winter, and the lump lasts longer.
  • lisanevada
    Options
    Perfect timing on this thread. I have the same question. Using the little fire starter cubes, I can get my egg up to about 350 dome temp (open lower grate, no daisy wheel). Our steak was delicious (DP Red Eye Express) but I am used to searing at a higher temp. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I couldn't get my DigiQ working on Sunday. Fan stopped so brought it in, let it warm up and worked in the house 5 mins later. I then brought it back outside and worked for minute then stopped again. Anybody experienced this issue in temps below 20f ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”