Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig sampler in da house!!

It arrived... so many little packets of goodness. Looking forward to trying them out. Even the enclosed pamphlet is so aromatic. I have a salmon fillet, a chicken, and some tuna steaks in the fridge to play with. Sadly, could not find any rack o' pork at Costco today. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Found out about the sampler from another thread a few days back. I'm intrigued by the Red Eye Express.

• caliking said:
    Found out about the sampler from another thread a few days back. I'm intrigued by the Red Eye Express.
    love the red eye, I do a lot of game on the BGE and it is my go to for game meat, that being said I find uses for almost every other flavor, I was instructed not to purchase any more until empty bottles are produced, the current plan is to replace the one empty with 2 or 3 full ones
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    The Red Eye is good. I've used it on a brisket as well as ribs and have been very pleased the results.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    The sampler is a good way to go, we got one at first also. Many good options.
    LBGE
  • Where did you get the sampler? I looked at the Dizzy Pig web site and they want over $22 ($11.00 for the sampler and $11.40 for shipping and handling). Is there another place to get it at a more reasonable price?
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    @GatoGordo if you haven't already, look for a dealer in your area. They sell samplers too. Dizzy Pig's web site has a dealer locator at the top of the home page.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• caliking
    The two dealers near me don't have the sampler packs. Each shaker of each rub is $10+. Spending $2 per sample to see if I really liked any seems like a good idea vs shelling out $10+ per shaker and ending up with something I didn't like.

For example, I tried some Tsunami Spin last night on Ahi tuna steaks, and don't think I care for it. I didn't taste the lemongrass and galangal flavors it claimed to have.

• bodski said:
    @GatoGordo if you haven't already, look for a dealer in your area. They sell samplers too. Dizzy Pig's web site has a dealer locator at the top of the home page.
    Unfortunately, the closest dealer is 40 miles away. Driving there and back would exceed the $11.40 postage.

• caliking said:
    Spending $2 per sample to see if I really liked any seems like a good idea vs shelling out $10+ per shaker and ending up with something I didn't like.
    I agree. For example, I heard good things about Oakridge BBQ, but when I tried their sampler, I was not impressed. I then got a Tasty Licks sampler from Fred's BBQ, and liked several of their rubs and the secret sauce. The only problem is that Fred's shipping costs are so high that I have never purchased them again.

Currently, I use Plowboy's that I can get on Amazon, and John Henry that I can purchase locally.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Caliking, What part of Cali are you in?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    edited January 2013
    td66snrf said:

Caliking, What part of Cali are you in?

Different Cali... Not the one you're thinking of. :)

• caliking
    edited January 2013
    @GatoGordo: I hear ya on the shipping costs. It really chafes my chaps to order stuff that sometimes costs more in shipping than the product itself.

Plowboys is good stuff, and often available at Bass Pro shops. I like to try new rubs and such as well, but I can live with good rubs which are available locally. I was in Kansas City last summer and got to taste a lot of rubs before purchasing at the KC BBQ Store in Olathe. Bought several which I liked, but passed on several that I had heard good things about but didn't suit my taste.

• batboy
    batboy Posts: 26

Dizzy Pig's customer service is top notch.  They used to run a promo that offered free shipping with an order of the sampler.  They might extend you that courtesy if you called up and said that the shipping cost was the reason you couldn't try their product.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Looks like they have a 5 pack sampler with free shipping! 

FWIW, Oak Ridge BBQ has a great deal on their sampler as well.  It is $4.95 shipped. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks like they have a 5 pack sampler with free shipping! 

Thanks for the link. I just ordered the 5 pack sampler.
  • caliking
    edited January 2013

• caliking
    Thought I would update this thread with some cooks using some of the samples I ordered.

1. Ahi tuna steaks with DP Tsunami Spin and a Thai dipping sauce. I couldn't really taste the galangal and lemongrass notes this rub is supposed to have, but the dipping sauce has dominating flavors ( fish sauce, Thai chilies, lime) and the nanami togarashi and some real zing to the tuna as well. No fork shot, but they were maybe medium rare inside. i seared them for about 2 mins per side - next time I will try 1min per side.

2. Salmon filet with DP Raging River, lemon and dill - This one I liked! It really does taste good with salmon. And I take back what I said earlier about DP rubs having more salt than I like - the salt level was quite agreeable. In the egg at 350°F, indirect raised for about 20 mins or so until the thickest part of the filet was  about 150°F. I intentionally overcooked it since I wanted it firm for salad and/or dip later in the week.

3. Chicken with DP Swamp Venoom. I threw this on because I could. No space in the freezer so I couldn't freeze the bird, and since the egg was lit up anyways I let it hang out with the salmon, and then it stayed on while we ate dinner. Pulled when the breast was 160°F. Socked away in the fridge for later in the week, so I don't know how it tastes. I'm really looking forward to this one though.  

Now if I could only figure out how to insert pics from photobucket, this post would be more interesting...

imageimageimageimage

• caliking
    Sort of figured out how to post pics from photobucket, but not how to intersperse the pics in the text. I'll try and search for other posts for details on how to do this.

• caliking
    Sorry just trying something here...

I think i have the hang of it now. 

• caliking Any new updates?  My 11 pack sampler is arriving this week and I can't wait to try all of them out.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • caliking
    I'll sneak in a response before the zombie thread police gets on our case :)

Pineapple Head - great on grilled fruit (pineapple, peaches, etc). Also good on grilled romaine. Tried it on a whole ham, but I don't think it added mush, or I didn't add enough. either way the ham didn't need it.

Thi sis probably stating the obvious, but Raising the Steaks was great on... steaks! I liedk the Red eye as well. My 14yo niece also likes the Fajita-ish and Swamp Venom. I didn't care for the Curry-ish but that's because I'm Indian, so the Curry-ish rub didn't do anything for me. I really like the Jamaican Fire Walk on chicken breasts  too.