Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-732

Options
'Most' of the time, my Maverick ET-732 works great. But more likely, the meat probe reading stay HHH. Except when I'm grilling a steak, I never get above 300 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My grill probe just went out. Is yours dirty? Might clean it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    With the "always when you don't want to see it" LLL or HHH, I suggest shutting off the units and reseating the probe plugs in the transmitter. Turn them back on, receiver first. Mine seems to like this method of tender care.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I thought HHH ment the probe is ruined?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think when you see that it is above the highest rated reading, somewhere around 600ºF.  I only use mine to monitor low and slow cooks when I am grilling not really that concerned with temperature.

Gerhard
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    When I get any error with my 732, I shut if off, switch the probes into the opposite ports, set the temps again, resync, turn it off and put the probes back in the correct port, and restart.  Not sure why, but it has always fixed any error I've had.  Maybe just lucky.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    gerhardk said:

I think when you see that it is above the highest rated reading, somewhere around 600ºF.  I only use mine to monitor low and slow cooks when I am grilling not really that concerned with temperature.

Gerhard
    I think the standard probes may not go as high as 600. I think they read HHH at 470ish. There are high temp probes available for the maverick which go higher. This was at least true for the et73. Make sure you don't submerge the probes when cleaning as they can be delicate if the connection between probe and wire gets wet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Ditto on high temp cooks
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    When mine said HHH the porbe wasn't pluged in far enough. When it said LLL the probe was bad.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• atbarr
    atbarr Posts: 26
    Options
    Like I said, I never smoke above 300 degrees. I had wash, the cable has never got wet. Is there another brand I should look at? It's pretty hard trying to smoke without being able to check the internal temp.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    When you route the probe wire make sure that it is protected by one of the platesetter's legs, for extra protection wrap the probe's wire with tin foil.  

Gerhard
  • mudpuppy45
    Options
    atbarr said:
    'Most' of the time, my Maverick ET-732 works great. But more likely, the meat probe reading stay HHH. Except when I'm grilling a steak, I never get above 300 degrees. What am I doing wrong?
    Very often, when I start my cook, my ET-732 shows the HHH.  (usually on the grill temp). I push the two sensor wire plugs into the transmitter very hard and it usually starts working correctly.

Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • atbarr
    Options
    " It's pretty hard trying to smoke without being able to check the internal temp."

Sorry, you guys know that.
  • atbarr
    Options
    So I wanted to smoke a Prime Rib Roast. The meat probe was dead. Duh! The battery was dead. I installed a new battery, and it worked perfectly. Life is Good, and so was the Prime Rib Roast.