Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT onion rings

My wife came up with a sweet recipe for onions rings. The batter wasn't as thick as a lot of other recipes. It actually was lightly drudged in the batter. That way we didn't fill up on the batter.They were deep fried for about 3-4 minutes. They went perfect with our burgers that were done on the egg. Sorry no pics of the burgers, but they did happen.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Those look really good.  I rarely deep fry anymore.  When I do it again, I want to do onion rings.  Please share the recipe and technique, and that sauce too.  Thanks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Love it ~ I'd love to hear her recipe.  It's been way too long since I've made these.  They look scrumptious! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks real good. Just had some ( not as good as yours, these from a BBQ place in Salado).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I do these all the time in a CI skillet and peanut oil. Soak rings in buttermilk overnight, dredge in a flour,cornmeal, chili powder, whateveryouwant spices and lay in the 1/2" oil. French fries the same way, w/out the flour work great too. I chope my fries adn place them in the freezer for about 45 minutes to crisp up, seems to make a better crunch.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hay, that is what they invented the Mini and 10" Wok for: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Onion rings and no burgers. Hmmm...

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    Mmmm onion rings just told the wife we need to make some the other night. It's been awhile. Vidalia onions and I use Drake Mix Batter with peanut oil. Same for button whole mushrooms. I use the Drake mix as a wet batter though.
  • I'd like to see the recipe too.  I've been making The Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings and they are fantastic.  But, I'd like to see other ways also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    I'm making hamburgers right now, and those look like they would go awesome with them. I also would like to see the recipe.  

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited January 2013
    Sorry for the delay. Life got real busy here for a few days.

Recipe for Onion Rings
    Slice onions into 1/2 inch slices, remove membrane from the inside of the onion ring. This is a bit time consuming but worth it.

THE SOAK
    4 cups of buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

FLOUR MIXTURE
    1 1/2 cup flour
    3/4 cup of cornmeal
    3 tbs of cornstarch
    1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp of salt

DIPPING SAUCE
    1/2 cup of mayo
    3 tbs of ketchup
    hot sauce to taste (your choice)
    1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)

Ok so after the membrane is removed, soak rings for 1-8 hours,(depends on how hungry or organized you are
    ;))
    Drain off the soak. Dredge the rings in the mixture, and then into the deep fryer. Temp was 350.
    3-4 minutes and pull and pat dry with paper towel.

These aren't a heavy batter ring, which is why we like them. 
    Hope you like them.
    :-c
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to see the recipe too.  I've been making The Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings and they are fantastic.  But, I'd like to see other ways also.

This is about as easy as it gets, we call these frizzled onions. They usually clump up and there are not distinct rings as I cut them paper thin on the mandolin. 
    Milk works just as well as buttermilk, or throw a couple Tbs of lemon juice in with regular milk. 

Great on burgers topped with blue cheese, or as a side with just about anything. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look and sound great.  Thanks for sharing the recipe! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Yea thanks for the recipe and inspiration.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009