Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast help

Options
bamabbq
bamabbq Posts: 8

Put on a 3.5# chuck roast about 3 hours ago and the temp is sitting at 154 and has been for around 30 minutes. I am guessing it is in a stall? Trying to make pulled beef sandwichs and need to know what temp to pull it off? I have the egg at 250.

Thanks,

Gary 

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Pull when tender IT of roughly 210
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited January 2013
    Options
    +2 just because I'm here-and expect to take around 7 hours (total cook time) or so to get there at your current temp.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I'm no expert but I have been cutting my chuck roasts into equal size portions - generally just quarter the roast.  Increases surface area for the rub and bark formation.  I smoke them uncovered, indirect at 250 or so for around 2-3 hours and then foil with some broth.  Continue to cook until fork tender.  Check thenm after an hour -1.5 hours in the foil to see if they are tender.  If they won't pull easily by sticking a fork in them and twisting, cover them back up tight with the foil and cook another 15-20 minutes and check again.  They are done when they are done.  I don't bother to temp them anymore.  Generally takes another 1.5 hours to 2 hours in the foil stage.  Sometimes I'll cut up some red onions, red bell peppers and portabella mushrooms and place them over the meat at the foil stage.  Good eats.
    XL BGE