Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Found chip in ceramic where gasket sits

Fellow Eggers,

While inspecting my egg which is only 6 months old, I noticed a chip in the ceramic near the hinge. I didn't think much of it but noticed it was on the edge of the lip of where the gasket sits. I have not messed with the egg other than making sure everything is snug. Attached is a pic in which you can see the chip extends inside. What can I do to fix this? Shouldn't this fall under warranty for the ceramic chipping or cracking? I have barely used the egg so I can't see this being from normal usage. Thank you all for the help.

Comments

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    My guess is that it is covered under warranty - go ask your dealer - they may be able to replace only the top - that chip really isn't a big deal from the standpoint of the functionality of the egg but if you're worried about it you can get some fireplace cement and repair it
  • id report it, they will prolly replace it.. 

what would be cool tho is if you can just report it and that way its filed.  and if it spreads than get a new top.  cause if i was to get a new replacment top id keep using that one and save the new one.  should cause no problem 

it doesnt have a crack that runs under the band does it? 

XLBGE 
  • Thanks. At this point from what I can see is that there is no crack that extends beyond the chip. Has anyone else run into this before?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I don't really think that would be covered under the warranty. It looks like something that happened other than a manufacturing problem. Maybe during assembly!? That looks like a Rutland type gasket. Is that the original gasket? Anyway, if it were mine, I'd fill the void in with JB Weld and not worry about it.......
  • Egret, I'm disheartened by your news. It probably happened during assembly from the dealer. Only problem is that the dealer I bought it from is 1 hour away. I have other local dealers that can handle warranty but wanted to hear the advice from all of you first. :)
  • But yes thank you for mentioning JB Weld. Perhaps that will be the backup plan.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I wasn't trying to dishearten you by any means. I'm just saying that it's most likely something that happened sometime after the dealer received the shipment. It sounds like the dealer put it together and you picked it up! No.....yes? You didn't mention my inquiry regarding the original vs. replaced gasket.......
  • It's not covered unless the crack goes all the way through the ceramic. It may grow in to that, but they won't cover it until it does.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Egret, I know you weren't trying to be disheartening. More than anything I'm a realist so my feelings were definitely not hurt. :). I have the original gasket. Not sure what kind but I know its high temp. I've had that egg up too 800 and the gasket is only slightly burned. Although its slightly exposed in that area as well.

Cen-Tex,

I need good news this weekend. I had a rough week at work. :) hahaha
  • Egret, I know you weren't trying to be disheartening. More than anything I'm a realist so my feelings were definitely not hurt. :). I have the original gasket. Not sure what kind but I know its high temp. I've had that egg up too 800 and the gasket is only slightly burned. Although its slightly exposed in that area as well. Cen-Tex, I need good news this weekend. I had a rough week at work. :) hahaha

Here is the good news- If it does actually become a problem other than aesthetic, they will take care of it without any issue at all. They just don't warranty chips or superficial cracks. I would not JB weld it. They may give you grief about it when you warranty it later. I would let it take it's natural course and hit them up for the warranty the second the crack goes all the way through.
  • What's it going to hurt to ask ? If they cover it great if not you not out anything and it will already be on record if it does crack from there.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Good point on waiting for JB Weld. My concern is that when I replace the gasket it won't fit properly since the chip is directly under where the gasket sits. So either I remove the piece and mold the new gasket into the cavity or just keep the piece in there and it be loose.
  • The fact that the gasket does not fit might give you some relief on the warranty. Couldn't hurt to press it.
  • Smoking - Padre Pio? Will you be joining me in smoking/grilling fish on Fridays during lent?
  • Ceramic, LOL. You are the first to recognize him! I think he was and still is awesome! I will be doing mostly shrimp since for some odd reason I have developed an allergic reaction to fish. But I can still eat shrimp, crab, and lobster which is odd but I'm not complaining. :)
  • Also, Padre Oil always helps those in need and when it comes to smoking why not welcome the help. :)
  • Darn spell check!! Padre Pio that is.
  • Smoking - as a Pre-Vatican II crappy cruncher and a denizen of Oklahoma where all this that swim are fried, it's nice to be able to smoke/grill something that swims! I'm thinking shellfish may be the ticket for this Lent. Peace and blessings upon you and your family! Dominos vobiscum! (I hope I got that Latin right! If I didn't, I DON'T wanna have to answer to the Nuns!) :))