Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Pies on the Egg

Options
National Pie Day is this Wednesday. 

I like making savory meat pies (aka hand pies) on the Egg.  I think you get a crisper, tastier crust than ones made in the oven.  I like these because you can stuff them just about anything, especially leftover BBQ pork or chicken.   Here are the ones I made yesterday.

These that I made yesterday had a filling made of leftover pulled pork, pepper jack cheese, fire roasted bell pepper, anahiem chile, red onion, cilantro, and some Blues Hog bbq sauce.

The dough was 10 Tbsp butter, 6 oz cream cheese, and 2 Tbsp cream whipped together and then 2 1/2 cups of AP flour and 1 tsp salt blended in.  Divide into two 5" x 3/4" discs, wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or more.  Divide each disk into 4 equal portions and make into balls.  (Dough recipe from the book Savory Pies).

Roll each out into a 6" circle and put some filling in there.

Wet the edge with an egg wash and fold over and crimp it sealed.  Then I put them on the Egg at 425f, plate setter legs down, 1/4" spacers and a pizza stone on top of that. 

The first batch took 30 minutes, the second batch was done at little quicker, around 25. 

Alternative dough method:  If you don't want to make your own dough, you can try the canned biscuit technique, that was how my mom taught me as a kid.   Overlap 2 canned biscuits to make a figure 8 and then roll them flat.   Then stuff with your filling and bake 8-10 minutes at 425f.  (Here's more about that method).

I'm getting hungry, I wish that I had one leftover for breakfast!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Excellent looking pies. I've never tried the cream cheese dough, read and lurked but never tried it. 
    Have you ever used this dough in a pie plate? Thinking of individual chicken pot pies.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Actually, this was the first time I used this dough but it worked great and my wife said it would be great on pot pies while we were eating these. 

The same book has a recipe for porchetta pot pies with rosemary and juniper that sounds really good and it says you can use the cream cheese crust for it. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Nice! I have a butt on now.. hour 14.. this sounds like good mid week dinner.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I make Chilean empanadas, which have ground beef, onion, paprika, slice of hard boiled egg, raisins and (optional) black olive.  I might try your crust.  I've not been happy with mine.  Thanks !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Bham_egger
    Options
    These look great! Awesome use of leftover meat!  Bookmarked.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Great post, these look amazing! Definitely going to give it a run. Ever tried these with a sausage filling? I'm wondering if the fat rendering out would make the crust mushy...

I think i'll try it one way other the other.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Another new idea to try, thanks for posting!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!  I have some leftover pork tenderloin that I was going to use for Tacos, but I think I'll try these instead!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hot Pocket!!  Those look great!  Definitely on my to do list. Hmmmm...got some leftover Tri-tip in the fridge now. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Ever tried these with a sausage filling? I'm wondering if the fat rendering out would make the crust mushy..
    I have done them with Italian Sausage but I brown it first with some onion and bell pepper to render out most of the fat first.  Worked well and tasted great.

Edit: the sausage was done with the canned biscuit alternative mentioned at the end so it only cooked 10 minutes on the egg.  I haven't tried sausage with the cream cheese crust which cooks longer, but I don't think it would be a problem.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Awesome. Good call on the sausage precook.

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Much more of a skill set than I could bring to the BGE-besides SWMBO would blow a gasket if I were to mess with flour in the house-and too cold to mess with it outside :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It looks fantastic!

Nibble, VERY nicely done. The cream cheese in the dough is a nice twist. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Added to favs, will be trying. Interesting dough. =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Looks great, I'll be trying these. Did you brush the whole surface with egg wash, they look fantastic.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Awesome looking.  Great use of leftovers.
    Options
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing as @SmokinDAWG82, how'd you get those pies to shine like that? Egg wash? Clarified butter? They do look great.

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Here was may attempt at "Yooper" pasties a few years ago.

imageNot too bad, but no one will mistake mine from some from the U.P.

(Hmmm, seem to be having image linking probs)
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    Options
    Looks great! I will definitely be looking to make this in the near future. We have leftover pulled pork from today and your hand pies might end up being dinner on Tuesday. Thanks for sharing.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    get in my belly! suddenly am very hungry. gonna try these out, Chris. thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Outstanding!! Wish I would have seen this before using premade Publix dough for our calzones tonight.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Damn, those look good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Short list....Looks fantastic. Thanks for posting.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013