Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking wood

Good evening to all. I was driving down the road today and noticed that the orchard up the road from me had pruned their peach trees. My question is to smoke with peach, do you need to use chunks of wood or would small pieces of peach branches work. There were large piles of branches and I am sure I would be able to go by there and get them for free. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    I get apple wood from an orchard near us, I buy apples there in the fall and he gives me all the wood I want.  I would ask the orchard owner before liberating any wood.

Gerhard

P.S. I just cut the branches into 1 to 2" chunks, it makes for long lasting smoke.  The wood I get is from the previous season but I have heard of people using fresh wood with good results.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They probably need to "season" before you use it, but if grab it if they'll let you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Thanks for the input. Yes I would ask before I just stopping and taking it. They actually live in the orchard. If you think it should be seasoned first, there are plenty of piles of trimmings from the last few years. They also have plums, apples, and nectarine trees. Anyone ever smoked with plum or nectarine wood?
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Forgot to add most of the branches are small in size so maybe I should call them twigs.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Firemanyz said:
    Forgot to add most of the branches are small in size so maybe I should call them twigs.
    They will work fine. Chips are just ground chunks, the pieces you will get haven't grown into chunks yet. 
    Peach - good for all meats, IMHO, a tad milder than apple. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • If I were you I would run out to that orchard and ask the owner for as much wood as you can get. I pay for my wood that comes from an orchard and if I had a chance to get it for free I would be all over it. Just another reason to add some smoke to cook!