Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised indirect with bolts, nuts, washers?

Want to try this. Any instructions or pics that y'all can help me out with?
Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Go to this link for The Naked Whiz instructions
  • Eggcelsior
    Oh, and you'll have to get a pizza stone for the lower grid as a heat deflector.
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Thanks!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I made this...used a Weber grid from Lowes. I would use stainless though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Raised direct usually uses the bolt/nut/washer technique. Raised indirect uses a setter or adjustable rig. 

Given the cost of a good pizza stone, I'd hate to use it as a heat deflector - that's why the setter or AR is the preferred option. I did use my CI grid on the fire ring  with 12" pizza pan wrapped in foil as the deflector and my SS grid bolted and nutted as the felt line grid - just bought a setter - much better. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cajunduck
    Thanks! I worded it wrong and meant raised direct. I've tried a few things, but stability was an issue. I like your rig, and will try that.
  • I had a couple of flat rib racks laying around so I bought the webber grid at lowes and just set it on top of the rib racks which are on top of the original Egg grid.  It works great but obviously it wouldn't work as a second simultaneous cooking space.
  • ... I am confused.....

I used a platesetter sitting on the top ring of the egg for ever, then used the bolt/nut/washer set up to raise it to indirect raised.... why do you need a grill below??
  • Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    I have this bad boy. I bought it off Amazon for my MBGE. It doesn't quite fit on the original grid as it scrapes the sides so it leaves a 1-inch gap between the dome and base. I use it for raised direct and I can flip it upside-down for searing next to the coals. It comes in larger sizes and I don't think they cause issues like mine. 

• ... I am confused.....

I used a platesetter sitting on the top ring of the egg for ever, then used the bolt/nut/washer set up to raise it to indirect raised.... why do you need a grill below??
    I was using my setup as a raised direct.  So therefore I did not use the plate setter.
  • Skiddymarker
    ... I am confused.....

I think what you may be missing is that instead of a plate setter, put a grid on the fire ring. Take a pizza stone or any sheet metal pan, wrapped or unwrapped with foil, and set it on the grid on the fire ring. This is now a heat deflector, like the center of the setter. Put your other grid on bolts and nuts in. You now have a raised indirect - without buying a setter. Plate setter is, IMHO better, but some folks like to be creative. 

I think what you mean is use the Bol/nut set-up to raise the grid to DIRECT raised not indirect raised. The setter will give you a raised indirect. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cajunduck
    What is that called Eggcelsior?
  • Skiddymarker
    edited January 2013
    Like @Eggcelsior I use the Grill Dome extender as well. Picked mine up for $14.99 on sale at a local BBQ store when they had post Xmas 50% off. They did not have the larger one. 
    This lets me low and slow a steak in a raised indirect cook. Put the meat over the stone. When up to desired internal, wrap the meat and pull out the extender. Raise the egg to after-burn and now I can sear on the lower CI grid already in the egg. The deflector is an old 15" stone that was too big for my MBGE, so I cut it in half, notched it - instant half moon deflector. This work very well for the two of us. 
    Previously I did this using my SS grid with bolts and nuts rather than the Grill Dome extender. I'm lazy, this is easier and the SS grid is available to be used without the bolts and nuts. 

The Grill Dome will sit on the fire ring directly for raised direct cooks - it is a tad too small, but then for two of us is OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    cajunduck said:
    What is that called Eggcelsior?
    What Skiddymarker said. Grill Dome Grill Extender.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Or use some empty beer cans OU can get raised direct or indirect and you get beer. I call this a win win
  • Skiddymarker
    edited January 2013
    U_tarded said:
    Or use some empty beer cans OU can get raised direct or indirect and you get beer. I call this a win win
    Beer cans did not work for me, I must be dumb as a bag of hammers, they will not sit on the fire ring. I put in a lower grid, then the beer can, the raised grid still wobbles and is unstable. I like firebricks better, they stay put. All are good and what ever you like, use it. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    pre-AR days...upside down, notched underside washer to get bolt as close as possible to the edge.  still use it for XL and Small.

canuckland
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Do you season your nuts before you put them into action?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    no, they'll get greasy after first use.
    canuckland
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29

rtt121 said:

I think I will leave this one alone.
    [-X
  • Eggcelsior
    DMOTS said:

rtt121 said:

[-X

Uhhh..... I'm dying right now! I don't even have a man - grate comeback.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have this bad boy. I bought it off Amazon for my MBGE. It doesn't quite fit on the original grid as it scrapes the sides so it leaves a 1-inch gap between the dome and base. I use it for raised direct and I can flip it upside-down for searing next to the coals. It comes in larger sizes and I don't think they cause issues like mine. 

That's a neat solution having it do double duty for searing. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • cajunduck
    Bought a grill dome extender from Amazon. Thanks for the info! ^:)^
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    DMOTS said:

rtt121 said:

[-X

Me too but it's gonna be hard.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Washers, nuts and bolts are cheap and they will do the job just as well.  I like creative thinking, it saves time and money.  Something all Americans should begin to learn because the cost of our freedom will continue to rise faster than our paychecks.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

• cajunduck said:
    Bought a grill dome extender from Amazon. Thanks for the info! ^:)^
    Cajunduck, If you have a large egg, will you report back when you get the grill dome extender as to whether or not it fits well?  I have an Amazon gift certificate, and this might be a good thing to use it on.  Thanks!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I have a large BGE and the grill dome extender works for me. I got mine on eBay for about $18, shipping included.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle