Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal help

What's the best way to add charcoal to an already lit fire? I had a low and slow cook most of the day, but now need to raise to high temps and don't think I have enough charcoal to last for how much longer I need? Nothing is on the Egg now and I have the time before i need to start next cook. Thanks.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If needed I just dump and stir.  I just did a low and slow overnight for 16 hours, and still had 2/3 of a firebox left.  I go through more lump on a pizza cook than on an overnight cook.
    Adamd Posts: 160
    The only way is to take the grate off and anything else you have set up and just add more I just dump more on top of the hot coals and it lights up quick. The hardest part and a true negative if you do in fact start to run out of charcoal is that you have to take everything off your grill to add more lump.

Lucky for us the Egg does not burn that much charcoal that fast!! 
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Have you looked at the PSWoo3 from Ceramic Grill Store? It provides an easy way to lift everything out of the egg at one time. Also makes it pretty easy to switch from indirect to direct too. 
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Yep....PS woo will allow you to easily add more charcoal to a lit egg. I would be lost with out mine. I have the PS Woo2
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've taken everything off, set it aside and started her back up. You might wrap the meat in hdaf while you work. No big deal.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have never had to add lump to my LBGE for any of my cooks.  One load lasted 22 hours for a slow and low at average temp of 210.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I've never needed to add lump during a cook, but you probably will have some VOCs to burn off before putting meat on.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The key is to put enough in that you don't need to add any. Like Sam and Burr Baby say above, use enough. 
    Any added lump will need to have the bad smoke cleared before you can cook on it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've gotta ask...what kind of lump did you use that you needed to add more?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm also a new user and on my first long cook I had to add coal after 8 hours.  I probably didn't add enough, but still, when I added coal there was still a whole level of coals left.  But as for the "bad" smoke, after adding BGE lump coal, I put the meat right back on.  How bad is that gonna be?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    jorlnixon said:
    I'm also a new user and on my first long cook I had to add coal after 8 hours.  I probably didn't add enough, but still, when I added coal there was still a whole level of coals left.  But as for the "bad" smoke, after adding BGE lump coal, I put the meat right back on.  How bad is that gonna be?
    You should be fine.  First - the fire is already hot enough to burn off new VOCs very quickly.  Second, if your meat has been cooking for 8 hours, it's probably not going to take much more smoke, so you should be fine.

When you're filling up the egg, you might as well fill it all the way up, especially on a longer cook, as you can always reuse the unburned lump.
    NOLA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    jorlnixon said:
    I'm also a new user and on my first long cook I had to add coal after 8 hours.  I probably didn't add enough, but still, when I added coal there was still a whole level of coals left.  But as for the "bad" smoke, after adding BGE lump coal, I put the meat right back on.  How bad is that gonna be?
    Wrap the meat. 

Why are you adding fuel if you have fuel still? Fire extinguish? There is no cook you should have to add coal to complete with an egg imo.