Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket going backwards ??

I can't believe it my brisket temp started going down from 195 to 182 what happened. I check the fire and restoked it. brought up dome temp to 250 and brisket still down ?? checked meet probe and replaced it in another place still down. NOW WHAT ??

Comments

• no worries. It happens when the brisket gives up the internal juices. Evaporative cooling. It normally happens a little lower temp but can certainly happen here too. Don't worry about messing with temps, it will all work itself out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I suggest we all start drinking heavily

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    That's a healthy drop but check out amazingribs.com for the technical explanation of the evaporative cooling mentioned by C-T.  And remember-"it's done when it's done".  As long as you still have control of the fire you will be just fine-if pushed for time-crank up the BGE to around 300*F to power it home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • excellent advice LS. However Centex is sadly on the wagon for a while
  • lousubcap
    Gotta love those New Year's resolutions-fortunately no resolutions will save me and the "wagon choice" would definitely be at the bottom of the list if such a list existed. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    well I am not on the wagon and I have already started. If every one shows up and my Brisket is not done I will be drinking very heavy, I will drink your part Cen-tex. Thanks again fore info, evaporative cooling, no kidding!! WOW I have a lot to learn.
  • Not a resolution, just need to lose some weight and probably take a little breather from the juice. I've earned it. I do it about twice a year for a few weeks
  • Like Lou said- yo can bump it up to 300 or so and push it through if you are close. I cook there anyway so you aren't going to hurt anything. I really like for mine to have time to rest a little before slicing so I would power it home and let it rest. Bottoms up!
  • DMOTS........I would say that you are powering through a "three fingers" stall!
  • DMOTS
    Well good news it turned out great. Everyone was impressed and so was I for my first time. Flavor was great, juices good and good wine, thanks every one for the help I learned a lot.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Congrats on aGreat Cook!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Congrats !   You get the brisket merit badge.  I havent passed that test yet!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I suggest we all start drinking heavily
    Makes everything better. Got an all day bender tomorrow.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DMOTS

thanks every one, If it weren't for the wine I would not have made it. Actually all of you helped me get through it plus the wine. By the way I make my own wine for 9 years now, I think we do all right, that is why I like BBQ ing. if any one needs help with wine making just let me know.

Go niners.

• One more thing that will put you over the top- You sliced this one with the grain and that makes it stringy and can make it tough to bite thorugh. Brisket must be sliced against the grain Here is a pic with the 2 slices on the outside sliced properly and the middle slice is sliced with the grain. The bite is MUCH more tender when you slice across the grain.

• So if you were to turn your 90 degrees, it would have looked like the 2 outside slices.

Add this next time and you'll nail it even more. Great job!

• lousubcap
    Great cook-any time you nail a brisket is a home-run!  No challenge for the next one :)
  • If you have a hard time telling which way is with and against the grain, just remember this: If you can't pull it apart in your hands easily with a light tug, you are cutting it incorrectly
  • lousubcap

A suggestion I use 9and not original), is to cut off a very small hunk against the grain before you add the rub and start the cook.  That way the obvious flat surface of the meteorite is the cut-line when finished.  FWIW-

• DMOTS
    thanks every one. I did see that I was cutting the wrong way after I took the pics so I turned and discovered against the grain and saved the night. I can't wait until my next brisket. plus every one ate all the first one last night so there is no left overs. that sucks. tonight fish
  • DMOTS said:
    thanks every one. I did see that I was cutting the wrong way after I took the pics so I turned and discovered against the grain and saved the night. I can't wait until my next brisket. plus every one ate all the first one last night so there is no left overs. that sucks. tonight fish

good catch. Best advice I have is do another one as soon as you can. that will help you start to spot patterns (good and bad) and tweak flavors while the first one is still fresh in your mind
  • DMOTS
    It is in the freezer waiting until next weekend. It is from our own cows, can't wait.