Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie's First Post : Week 1 on the BGE

SeeingSpots
SeeingSpots Posts: 151
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've enjoyed lurking on this board for several weeks in preparation for an early birthday present to myself, the Large BGE, which I got a week ago today. Thank you all for pointers on using the BGE, it's helped to flatten out that learning curve for me.

So, here are the results of my first week (3 cooks so far):

1. First cook (Monday).  Took some advice from a fellow egger and went with burgers, but at the last minute got greedy and threw on some chicken breasts too.  That was a mistake.  Too much to “deal with” on my first time out.  The food was all good, nothing to write home about, Although a testament to the BGE that its hard to mess things up too bad.

2. Second Cook (Tuesday).  Went indirect with a spatchcock chicken and it did not disappoint.  It was the best grilled chicken I’ve ever eaten!  Cooked it for about an hour and a half, as I wrestled with the temperature, finally stabilized at 350.  Also, I put some cut up sweet potatoes in the drip pan and let the chicken baste them for the entire cook.  Holy crap they were good.    

3. Third cook (last night).  Make your own pizza night.  I let the kids and wifey construct their own pizza and then I threw them on a stone at 650!  They took about 4 minutes to cook each.  Temp control was much better this time around, getting the hang of it a little.  Getting the pizza’s onto the stone was the hardest part (need a pizza peel next time).  BUT, the pizza was unbelievable.  The kids loved it and the wifey too. 

I’m thinking about doing something serious this weekend, but not sure what.  Ribs, shoulder, briskets, who knows?

All in all, I’m loving the BGE!!!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• That's how you do your first week!

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks awesome. Did you use store-bought or home-made dough? 
  • Looks awesome. Did you use store-bought or home-made dough? 
    I used homemade.  It was a no knead, overnight rise dough recipe that I got online. It was really good, but will probably try to get something crispier next time,
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • The best way I have found to get the pizza on the stone is to put the dough on parchment paper, build your pizza, then slide the pizza, parchment paper and all, onto the stone.  Leave the paper for a few minutes, then slide it out from under the pizza.

Just a tip from another newbie...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Great first week. Welcome!
    Regarding the pizza peel, check out one of these baking sheets, does not have to be the air cool type, just a baking sheet with no lip. I found one in my local Superstore for $4.99. 
    http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00234277&RankThis=Y&Searched=baking sheets&
    I build the pizza on a piece of parchment on the baking sheet, slide it on to the stone. After 3-5 minutes remove the parchment and spin the pie 180 to cook evenly. This sheet just slides under the pie to get it off, with a little help from some tongs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • looks like a good first week!  

I don't think i have seen others do this, but i stretch my dough out on the preheated stone (i preheat mine in the stove for 45 mins @ 450, so not to run out of high heat on the grill) and the fill the pizza up with sauce/cheese/toppings as its on the stone in the kitchen, then throw it on the grill @ 550-600. 

this way i don't loose any heat from the grill or have to worry about trying to slide a pizza with all the extras onto a hot stone/grill. and of course don't forget to put semolina or cornmeal on the stone before putting the dough on it. 
  • Great advice all.  Thanks!  I will try the parchment paper next time and see how that goes.

Certainly it will be better than my cardboard pizza peel method.  
    :P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I like/use parchment. Just for the first 90 sec or so.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

Do you use semolina or anything else under the dough?

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mickey said:

Do you use semolina or anything else under the dough?

NO... That is the cool thing about the parchment. Just to get the dough set and pull the paper.It will slide right out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks like you're off to a nice start. Welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard ! Nice first few cooks.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Thanks for the Welcomes and words of encouragement.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The food looks great! I especially like what you did with the sweet potatoes - will have to try that for myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Terrific looking food!!!!!!!  Great job and I can't wait to see your future posts...
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Welcome to the forum, and the cult! I can see your hooked already, doesn't take long does it? Sounds like your ready for a low and slow, I would recommend starting out with a pork butt and doing pulled pork. It's a wicked easy low and slow, great confidence builder.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great - happy b-day and welcome to the elite world of ceramic kamados.

Next spatchcock, try raised direct - raise the grill grate up high and cook direct.  Cooks a little more evenly and faster.
    Pizza in the first week!

Welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard-nothing like jumping right in.  Congrats. A game changer for sure!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking said:
    The food looks great! I especially like what you did with the sweet potatoes - will have to try that for myself.
    You won't be disappointed.  Just keep the skin side down, against the pan, to keep from over caramelizing the orange meat of the potato.   I had a few that fell over and the sugar oozed out and got black and crunchy.  Not bad though, in a burnt marshmallow sort of way.    :D
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE