Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie having a great time.

Still in the process of learning...but wow I'm having fun and eating gooood!. 

Just wanted to give an update. Finally starting to learn how to control the temp. At some point I'm going to get a CyberQ for the overnights I have on my list. Also going to get a AR as I can already see we'll be doing quite a bit of hosting at my house. 

Added a few pics below...Trying out some of the Dizzy pig products, 1st leg qtrs, 1st turkey wings, and dusted ribs and pork loin. Sorry no after pics of the loin or ribs...people were hungry and those went fast. Ribs came out great...I got a little smoke ring so I'm happy as a starter. Loin were slightly over-cooked, but not dry. Wife liked it...but I have another I'll be trying soon. Guess that was my eye opener to get that thermapen.

Happy to be apart of the family and will be searching the site for more ideas...

Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
I love to eat...sue me!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Welcome, thanks for sharing pics of the cooks. 

A hint on the low and slows, even with a CyberQ, do your first one or two long cooks during the day, so you can see how the cook goes. Start a butt at 7:00Am and set to finish by 6:00PM. During the day monitor the cook to get the "hang of it". You'll sleep better, trust me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I'm a newbie too. Lots of great recipes here and everyone has been helpful.

There is definitely a learning curve in controlling the temp. However, once it's dialed in it won't budge. I did a brisket for Christmas, started raining about halfway through and the temp didn't drop a bit.

Pics look great, welcome to the club!
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Thanks for the advice @Skiddymarker...Superbowl is coming up...may have to make that my target date.
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Looking good, that Raging River is some fine stuff. That one, Dizzy Dust and Raising the Steaks are my favorite so far.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks great! Welcome to the forum. You will learn lots here.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I am a new egger too. Dont be scared of the low-n-slow. I did a Boston butt on my second cook. It came out amazing. I don't have a CyberQ. I rubbed it down with Dizzy Pig the night before and put in the fridge. Put it on the egg the next morning about 5:30, kept the temp at the grid around 250-275 and it was done round 6:00 that evening. The wife said it was the best that she ever ate. I did mist it with apple juice about 4 or 5 times throughout the cook to help keep moist.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome. I love Dizzy Pig. I have all of them.

Ricky

Boerne, TX