Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Egg Breakfast - Meatlovers Breakfast Bowl

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the bad pun. I wanted to start making some eggperimental dishes where I use both of my Eggs. I wanted to learn what difficulties there might be firing up two Eggs vs 1 and what it did to total warmup times etc. I wanted to see how the new grill/cabinet arrangement worked for cooking on two grills. With that in mind I decided to make my own take on a breakfast bowl with scrambled egg, various meats, veggies & cheese. Instead of using a skillet I thought a better way might be to use my griddle for some of it and my wok to finish. One of the fried rice rceipes I make has you push the other ingredients off to the side into a donut shape, pour the Egg in the middle & then stir fry madly to mix in the Egg. I figured this would actually be faster and easier than trying to do this in a skillet. Happily it was. The wok is so well seasoned the cheese didn't stick at all which was my biggest fear using the wok to make this. I will let the pictures tell the story and cut to the chase-how was it?

It was excellent. I pulled the wok when the eggs were just slightly running and the carryover cooking while getting them into the house finished them off perfectly. I enjoyed my choice of ingredients and this will definitely be made again. The only 3 things I would do differently would be to cut the amount of salt I added in half. The meats brought quite a bit of salt with them, so I can use less salt. The second thing would be I will use my infrared thermometer to shoot the griddle surfaces. I had some hot spots on one of the griddles. I didn't know at first and once I found out I was able to move the food around to compensate, but it would have been helpful to know in advance. The last one is I wanted to add fresh chives, but the stupidmarket was out. Next time I will add the fresh chives.

The two grills are pre-heating. My Spider only fits on the 5 notch fire ring for my first Egg, so my first Large would handle the wok duties and the new Egg would get the stainless steel grill grate and tow half moon cast iron grill griddles installed.

I bought two half moon griddle grates when I bought them for my first Egg. I figured having the ability to use the flat top side and the ridged side at the same time would come in handy. It did. I also realized the half moon shape isn't the most space efficient and there might be times where I'd need more work surface. 

While the Eggs were heating I gathered & chopped the other ingredients. These were 6 eggs, 2 sandwich size English muffins sliced & brushed with melted butter, shredded multi-variety cheddar cheese, diced red, green & yellow bell peppers, table salt, black pepper & thick cut bacon.

The new Egg has been stabilized at 400 degrees & I am about to toss on the English muffins, then ground hot Italian sausage on the flat top & the bacon will go on the griddle with the raised ridges pointing up.

The English muffins are on the flat top, the bacon is on the raised ridge side of the other griddle.

The muffins have come off & were replaced with the ground hot Italian sausage. The bacon is still cooking. Next time I will shoot the griddle grates with my infrared thermometer, because I had a hot spot on the left side I had to deal with. I was able to move the food around to deal with it, but it would have been nice to know as soon as I started. I'm still used to using grill griddles on my gas grill where even temps were a given.

The bacon & sausage are done. 

Time to cut the bacon up into small pieces & finish the cook on the wok on my new Egg.

The new Egg was stabilized at 550 degrees. The wok was preheated and then some peanut il was heated. Next up was to add the diced red, green & yellow bell peppers.

The bell peppers were stir-fried for two minutes. At the one minute mark, I added in the diced ham.

The cooked bacon & sausage are added back in & quickly get stirred to combine with the other ingredients.

The ingredients were pushed up the sides of the wok leaving an opening in the middle. The ingredients end up looking like a donut and the eggs salt & pepper get poured into the middle. Then I added in the cheese. Things were happening too fast at this point to snap another picture when I added the cheese in. I needed to start stir-frying so the ingredients would get evenly distributed through the eggs & cheese

I pulled the wok off the Egg while the eggs & cheese were still slightly runny. The eggs cooked to perfection while I was transporting the wok back into the Kitchen.

The breakfast bowl was served with the griddle fried English muffins & some freshly squeezed orange juice I made using the juicer attachment for my KA stand mixer.

I love these breakfast bowl/skillet breakfasts at the restaurants I go to, but I gotta say this was even better. And fresh squeezed orange juice is a trear around these parts, particularly this time of year.

Well I gotta say firing up two Eggs is about as easy as doing 1. It took twice as long for clean out & setup, but that was to be expected. From that point on there really was no extra time associated with using 2 vs 1 Egg. It was wonderful having the extra grate real estate and being able to do two types of cooking at once.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments